Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am not sure where to start but I will try. I have not had

I am not sure where to start but I will try.
I have not had sex for 16 years and I have a Wife I have been marries to for 19 years. The
first two years was fine, no problem but then I develped impodence and It went downhill from there. I have been to three eurologist and one psycoligest with not luck.
my wife is the one who suffers the most and she can't go on much longer with out a sex life.
I don't know where to go for treatment or if there is a treatment for it. I have had an
operation for an impant to get an errection but I do not have any sexual desire at all
Can you advise me as to who to call for help?
Sincerly James A.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are having this sexual dysfunction issue, I can imagine how distressing this must be for you and for your wife as well.

Dr. Z :

So since you went to a urologist who tried some ways to address the physical causes for this with the penile pump, implant, and the Viagra.

Dr. Z :

There are two options that you can do here, and because you believe that this is a mental issue, I believe that seeing a certified Sexual Therapist would be best for you as they have post-graduate experience and training in this area to help improve your libido and your erectile issues.

Dr. Z :

I can recommend a good Sexual Therapist in your area if you like

Dr. Z :

Also because therapy is a gradual approach and takes time to be effective, I imagine that you would want a treatment to work sooner rather than later, so I would like to recommend the medication called Wellbutrin, which is an antidepressant that actually improves libido and impotence in men to a greater degree than Viagra, because Viagra only addresses physical issues and not psychological issues, like you have described. here is an article describing Wellbutrin in more detail for you

Dr. Z :

I see that you are online would you like me to find a sex therapist in your area for you to help with this situation as they are better trained than the average therapist/psychologist

Dr. Z :

I would just need your zip code to look in your area

Customer:

I have used Wellbutrin and it cauces problems with my driving ability.

Dr. Z :

I am sorry, you did not mention the use of Wellbutrin, that is why I wanted to offer it as a suggestion. The other medication options for erectile dysfunction and loss of libido would be low doses of testosterone, but that does come with side effects as well.

Dr. Z :

What about a sex therapist, would you be willing to give that a try?

Customer:

36092

Dr. Z :

Okay give me a couple minutes to compile a list for you

Dr. Z :

I am still looking, give me a couple more minutes please

Customer:

I am near 36109

Dr. Z :

Yes I am looking in Montgomery, AL, but it has been difficult finding qualified sexual therapists in that area

Customer:

maybe birmingham

Dr. Z :

Would you be willing to drive that far, because I did find a few there

Customer:

yes

Dr. Z :

Okay let me pull that list up again for you then

Dr. Z :

This is the list of Certified Sex Therapists, so they are the best trained in this area to help you with this issue

Customer:

can you send list to my email?

Dr. Z :

I actually do not have access to your email. That is something the administrators choose to limit from the experts so your personal information is kept private. But after you rate me, this chat will be sent as a link to your email, if it has not already, so you can always use it for future reference. In addition, this chat will be saved in your JA account under My Questions so you can always go back to it when you need to

Customer:

Good, thank you You did good

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight?

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.