Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have fibromyalgia with Chronic Fatique. I also have a long

I have fibromyalgia with Chronic Fatique. I also have a long history of Chronic Major Depressive disorder with PTSD. I have been in multiple treatments, on a a multitude of medications. I just recently had to go on disability. I was a RN for 13yrs while I was sick with all of the above. In spit e of all I have tried to be healthy. I eat healthy foods, gentle exersize and drink plety pure water. I am 5ft and 1in and 115 at 54 yr female. My meds are: trazadone 100mg, simivistatin 20mg, estradiol 1mg and valium 5mg hs. In the am for the fatigue I take 5mg of adderall and 4mg of subutex (not suboxtone) for the never ending pain. The last two are prns. I hate medicines and feel as though I am chasing symptoms. I feel useless because I really am unable to work because my days are inconsistant. I also take Milk Thistle for the preservation of my liver. My current psychiatrist has been treating both my pyche and physical issues. I do believe they are related. I see a pychtherapist as well bi monthly for years of sexual abuse from childhood and mental abuse from my first husband untill I was in my early thirties. I would like to get off all medicines and my MD and therapists feel as though that is not possible because of my unretractable major depression, pain and fatigue. I have tried a multitude of antidepressants from SSRIs, NSRIs, Monoxidil, Lyrica which gave me edema in my legs so bad that I had weeping sores, The only thing that seems to help a litle is the trazadone and adderall combo for the depression and yet I cry most of the time. I am apathetic and really have a hard time finding joy in this life. I apologize for whining but I feel hopeless and I really am trying to have a positve outlook. However, I life on medicines with this level of pain and fatigue is very disheartening. Since Fibromyalgia has much to do with the nervous system, do you think a neurologists would be a better choice for dealing with this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your question

Dr. Z :

Please give me a couple minutes to read over your question carefully, so that I can better assist you

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry to hear about your chronic nerve pain and depressive symptoms, I can imagine how distressing this is for you.

Dr. Z :

I agree with your therapist and psychiatrist that going off the medications would be difficult for you, and I also agree that seeing a neurologist would be more appropriate for the symptoms of fibromyalgia too.

Dr. Z :

And I know you want to get off the medication, but there is a relatively new treatment modality currently employed that has been used to treat resistant depression and pain. It is called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) wihich may be appropriate for you.

Dr. Z :

This is very similar to the Electroconvulsive Therapy, except this used magnetic stimulation instead of electrical and is considered safer with less side effects. Also this modality is relatively new (FDA approved since 2008) and has been considered a last resort for patients when other conventional treatments of depression have been unsuccessful. This novel method for treatment of depression has been very successful for resistant depression and I think it is something that you should consider based on your symptoms and the other unsuccessful treatment approaches. Here is one links describing it in more detail for you and another link of a study in praising its effectiveness and minimal side effects.

Dr. Z :

These articles show the use of TMS for chronic pain and depressive symptoms, so it may be something to consider with a psychiatrist or neurologist

Customer:

I have also tried ECT however waking from general anesthesia throws me into a frightning dissociative state and I panic. I know in my head it will pass but it is so scary that I quit after the third treatment. I am so sorry. I don't want to be one of those people who shoot down all suggestions with excuses. I have tried so many things that I feel hopeless.

Dr. Z :

Well TMS is more effective than ECT and does require anesthesia. The risks are less with TMS then compared to ECT

Customer:

What is TMS?

Dr. Z :

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

Dr. Z :

I sent around 4 links about them and why they are effective for depression and chronic pain like you are experiencing

Customer:

Thank you I will explore that idea. Sincerely, Penny

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.