Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Can legal action take place if a psychiatrist fires you as

Can legal action take place if a psychiatrist fires you as a patient and stops clonazepam cold turkey.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Customer:

I am here.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Every mental health professional, even more those which prescribe psychiatric drugs, have legal, ethical and professional responsibilities, and they should not, under any circumstance neglect or abuse their patients well-being

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

No professional could deny you necessary support -treatment, even more if it is about powerful drugs you have been using, which are will know that require careful monitoring, adjustment and support.

Customer:

If I wanted to legal action would I seek out an attorney or the Licensing Board for Psy.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Only if the professional has a serious good reason to justify such action, like a real concern about the patient's health or life integrity, because of high suicidal potential or violent behavior, or any other concrete and valid reason to justify such action.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You would do both.

Customer:

I do not understand what you are saying in the first paragraph.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The professional board in order for them to investigate and take consistent actions to protect you and other potential clients-patients because of malpractice, and a good attorney to do what is necessary because of his abusive and neglectful actions.

Customer:

What type of attorney?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I meant that as a psychiatrist he cannot deny you necessary treatment, or end leave you without necessary refill because he has legal, ethical and professional responsibilities he must comply with.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

A regular attorney with expertise in cases of medical malpractice

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Medical malpractice lawyer, is the exact specialist you would need.

Customer:

Do you know specifically the name of the professional board? Is the board for physicians, psychiatrists? Actually she is a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. I have not taken legal action before, but she knowing I would go through withdrawal symptoms, which were horrible as I may add, and my concern for other patients. I have decided to look into legal action and see what they say.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

then she is not a psychiatrist but a nurse

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

In which state are you located?

Customer:

Arizona

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please review this directories. Here you could find attorneys specialized in these cases:

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is the organization regulating her practice as a nurse: The Arizona State Board of Nursing. Here you could find information and guidance on how to file a complaint: http://www.azbn.gov/disciplinecomplaintform.aspx

Customer:

Oh, okay. The experience and the side affects were horrific. Then when I found out stopping cold turkey could have killed me, I was in shock.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know that. A good attorney with expertise in medical malpractice cases would be the one to support you as you need, and the state board I referred before would also take actions in order to investigate what happened and take care of it.

Customer:

I greatly appreciate your input with answering my questions. Thank you so much.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Thank you for your trust, I support you and hope you get all the support you need.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions since I am here willing to support you.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you for helping others, also. If I have any additional questions I will contact you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sure, please do so. (Please do not forget to rate session before you leave the chat. Thanks).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Bye for now.