Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I started dating a 26 year old male and he is very outgoing

I started dating a 26 year old male and he is very outgoing and sweet. He just informed me he has "anxiety" problems where he irrational fears of people or zombies (yes zombies) hurting him. He also disclosed that he locked himself in the bathroom for 4 hours because he was so scared someone broke into his house. He is not on any medications. My question is, is it possible to have a relationship with someone with paranoia? I don't want to get too involved if it's not possible.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that this man you are dating is exhibiting these symptoms, I can understand your concern about continuing the relationship

Customer:

Hi that would be great

Dr. Z :

These symptoms are consistent with Delusional Disorder Paranoid Type or possible Schizophrenia since some of the delusions would be considered bizarre (e.g. Zombies), which obviously increases anxiety if you have this level of paranoia

Dr. Z :

Most likely without proper treatment of antipsychotic medications and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) he will continue to get worse and not better.

Dr. Z :

Also there is no guarantee that the medications would be effective for him and stop the paranoid thoughts and associated anxiety

Dr. Z :

So the odds of a successful relationship with this man would be slim

Customer:

That was my thought. Thanks

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I posted some links on the Delusional Disorder and Schizophrenia for you as well

Dr. Z :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No that helped. Thank you

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I wish you the best and I hope this man gets the treatment that he needs. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Customer:

I definitely will.