Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My 11yr old son tells me on a regular basis that he hates his

My 11yr old son tells me on a regular basis that he hates his life and wants to kill himself or me to kill him???? And he doesnt want to be in this world anymore

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your son is saying these things and exhibiting this behavior, I can imagine how distressing this is for you

Dr. Z :

May I ask for how long has your son been saying these things?

Customer:

Hello. Yes I do need help im at my wits end

Customer:

Hes been saying these thing for the last 6 months

Dr. Z :

Has anything occurred in that time to cause him to think this way?

Dr. Z :

Problems in school or at home for example?

Customer:

Hes been bullied at school and doesnt get on well with his dad

Dr. Z :

How long has he been bullied for?

Customer:

He keeps saying hes different

Customer:

Bullied for 2 yrs by same kids at sch

Dr. Z :

When you say that he described himself as "different" in which way do you mean?

Customer:

Been in 4 diff schools but getting same reoccurring things

Customer:

Diff in looks and behaviour

Dr. Z :

Has your son been evaluated by a psychologist?

Customer:

Yes about 5 yrs ago for post traumatic dissorder

Dr. Z :

I think he is going through similar symptoms of stress and depression, by what he is describing. Bullying has a profound psychological effect on a child that causes this stress and depressive symptoms, which is why I believe he may need to see regular therapy again

Dr. Z :

His verbalizations of hopelessness and suicide are typical symptoms of a Major Depressive Disorder

Customer:

Yes. He says he want help one min and doesnt the next. He is stressed. Had episodes of bed wetting and nightmares too. I want him to have private counselling but husband dont want to pay. But the waiting list for nhs is rather lengthy

Dr. Z :

That is very unfortunate, I think private therapy is needed for his behavior and these verbalizations are serious enough where you can take him to the emergency room and he would get hospitalized immediately. But if that is not a direction you want to go, you can try some self-help therapy with him until he sees a private therapist. There are many therapists that work on a sliding scale to provide cheaper service for individuals with low income, if that is the case here

Customer:

I see what you are saying. Money is not an issue for the help my boy needs. I will organise it myself if I have to. I do not want to end up with him in hospital. I talk to him all the time. But he responds quite badly to me and it can worsen the matter.

Dr. Z :

Well right now because of his depression/anxiety, he has a negative view of the world and this causes irritability, so that is most likely why he reacts this way to you when you are trying to help him

Customer:

That is very true. I will bite the bullet and seek him help. It cant carry on. The older he gets im afraid for him and the matter might or will get worse.

Dr. Z :

Yes this is can be progressive and get worse over time, but with early treatment he has a better chance of a favorable treatment outcome. This is very treatable and he can recover from this.

Customer:

I just want the loving caring son back.

Dr. Z :

I know you do, and I believe with therapy he will come back to you and is depression/anxiety will resolve, but with all therapy it is a gradual approach and does take time to start being effective, but the sooner you do it the sooner your son will get better

Customer:

I know it will take time. The whole behavoural change. His attitude is bad. So its going to be a long road I think. Got to be done before he goes right off the rails.

Dr. Z :

It will be a long road, but the benefits will be great and I truly hope that your son will respond well to the treatment and start to feel good about himself and about his life again

Customer:

I hope he will. He seems to me that hes sinking and cant get out. Its horrid to see all this

Dr. Z :

Well because of the seriousness of his symptoms, some therapists may advocate for him to see a child psychiatrist for a prescription of low dose antidepressants that can improve his mood in a very short period of time (usually 2-3 weeks to start seeing benefits).

Dr. Z :

That may help here, if that is something you choose to do

Customer:

Didnt want to do that route. But will see what they suggest. And how severe they think he is. Thank you for your help and talking to me.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

Thank you. I think im ok for now. Will make a few calls and sort this situation out.

Dr. Z :

I am glad that I was able to help you and I hope that your son responds to treatment very swiftly. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Thank you very much. Very helpful.

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome. I wish you and your son all the best :)

Customer:

Thank you. Bye bye.

Dr. Z :

Goodbye