Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My son is 21 year old. His main problem is he is very slow

My son is 21 year old. His main problem is he is very slow in his routine work. It can be said he has timemangemnt proble. He takes extra long time in shower, brush etc. It affected on his educational life also. he can never able to finish his work within his time limit. I am always under stress and If I do not keep nagging him, He can not complete his task. He is very charming while he talks. For me it is very hard to understand him. His grade were bad in highschool but he did excellent in ACT so He got accepted in one of the top ten college in USA. In college because of the time management problem, He has been on acadamic probation twice. After second probation within a week he worked so hard and made his GPA high so college enrolled him back!!! so I really do not udnerstand him. Please help. He is very good boy . May be we can help to over come time manage ment problem .
Thank you

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry about this time management issue in regards XXXXX XXXXX son, I can see how that can distress him and you as well.

Dr. Z :

I would like to ask a couple questions to get some more information, so that I can better assist you today

Customer:

ok

Dr. Z :

Does your son have any difficulties focusing and concentrating at all?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Z :

Also you mentioned that he is very charming when he talks, but it is hard for you to understand him. Can you describe this in more detail for me?

Customer:

Yes. As I said he is very very intelligent. He read lot book and always curious to know new things. When he was young he used to read contiously 6 hours. But at the same time he used to take extra long time in routine also

Dr. Z :

And would you describe him as shy and not very active?

Customer:

Not at all. He participate in lots of extra actvities. Infact he can speak in front of 500to 1000 people crowd without even preparing his pseech. As I said people love him

Dr. Z :

And how is his sleep pattern? Does he sleep a lot, a little, or a normal amount?

Customer:

Thank you for asking me. This is also one of the main problem. He can not sleep at night. But he in day he sleeps like baby. And I fight this every day..

Dr. Z :

Well the sleep deprivation can cause these symptoms during the day. What you are describing is called a Slow Processing Speed and typically it is a result of ADHD, as is the trouble focusing and concentrating.

Dr. Z :

My first impression was that your son had a possible subtype called Sluggish Cognitive Tempo, but usually that results in social withdrawal which your son does not have based on your description

Dr. Z :

I know you cannot be with him at night all the time because you have to sleep, but does he still have these slow processing speed issues at night after he has slept through the day?

Customer:

Yes. And now he is an adult it is very hard to control. He is brgiht child and still he has time to have good future. Can we do something so Please?

Dr. Z :

There are two things I would suggest because Slow Cognitive Processing Speed can be caused by many things, so one would be to go to a Sleep Study Clinic and have him evaluated. Your general practitioner can make a referral for your son. And the other would be to go to an Assessment Psychologist for testing as this can be caused by many psychological disorders and the assessments will help narrow down thee cause and the proper treatment for your son. If you like I can recommend some good assessment psychologists in your area. Also here is a good link explaining slow processing speed too

Customer:

Please recommand me psychologists in my area. My area code is 64152.Thank you. I was thinking something you can suggest me. Because he is an adult it will be very hard for me to convince him to go psychologists. But if it is the only way I will do it.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Z :

Well the link has some suggestions to help with slow processing speed issues, so that can be beneficial for him, but I think getting a firm diagnosis can help approach the issue best and provide the most appropriate treatment too. Give me a few minutes to look in your area and recommend so good psychologists.

Customer:

I hope there is nothing serious to my son right?

Dr. Z :

I do not think this is serious and I believe that he can overcome this with the right treatment and coping strategies.

Customer:

Hello Sir,

Customer:

Hello Sir

Dr. Z :

Hello

Customer:

Hello Sir,

Dr. Z :

Yes I am still here, just give me one more minute to compile this list for you and your son

Dr. Z :

Here are some good assessment psychologists in your area that can provide a very detailed assessment. The first is actually someone I worked with while in Kansas and he also has neuropsychological assessment background which is really good for evaluating processing speed issues.

Dr. Z :

Do you have any other questions or concerns that I can help with at this time?

Customer:

I am sorry There was computer glich. I typed one time and it was just keep send you same msg. But Thank you for your help.

Customer:

Have good day

Dr. Z :

No problem, computer glitches happen. I am happy that I was able to help, and I hope that your son can get a definitive diagnosis soon to be able to fix this slow processing speed issue. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.