Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

my grandson is 9 years old. Because he forgot o do his homework

my grandson is 9 years old. Because he forgot o do his homework yesterday, he knew it would mean staying in for recess today; he had a meltdown in front of me at home which consisted in screaming, rolling himself in a ball on the floor and moaning/crying for an hour. how should this have been handled?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Give me one minute to carefully read over your question so that I can better assist you tonight

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your grandson had this issue today, I can imagine how distressing this must have been for you to watch him like this

Dr. Z :

May I ask, has your grandson ever exhibited this behavior before?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Z :

And how did you handle it last time and how did he respond?

Customer:

If this is costing me more than $22.00 and you are not giving me an answer, I will have to quit.After about an hour, he quieted down.

Dr. Z :

I am just asking questions right now to get an idea about your grandson. But the most effective method for helping your grandson at first would be to put him on a timeout to help him calm down and then you would want to talk to him, but allow him to talk more and you listen. This will help him to learn to vocalize his emotions better. In addition, a great technique that I use with children and adolescents is the use of an anger decision sheet that can help your grandson express his anger in a more assertive and appropriate manner. This technique is used a preventive measure.

Dr. Z :

This is also a really good book that has many strategies that can be employed to help manage your grandson's meltdowns.

Dr. Z :

By the way the reason the time out must be employed and is effective is because it allows him to get out all of his emotions and then when he calms down from his meltdown he will be more ready to communicate what he is feeling, this is where the anger decision sheet comes in, as it allows him to communicate those negative feelings verbally

Dr. Z :

These are some good tips on stopping meltdowns as well. Teaching deep breathing techniques to grand-son. Have him use crayons or markers and draw a picture of his anger, as this is a creative solution to help him express it too. Offer a token system, when he successfully prevents a token, put a token in a jar and if it reaches ten tokens then he gets a reward and also if he has a meltdown take a token away.

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

Thank you. This will help.

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.