Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am looking for help for my 40 yr. old son who lives in Birmingham

I am looking for help for my 40 yr. old son who lives in Birmingham AL. He was recently diagnosed as bipolar/schizophrenia. He is still going through severe depression issues and recently had suicidal tendencies. He works full time but recently had his overtime hrs. cut. He is unable to support himself because of wage garnishments and is paying extreme costs for health insurance on top of the wage garnishments. My concern is that he needs to continue to take his meds and he also needs to be able to feed himself. He is so down now that I am worried about his stability mentally and emotionally. He begs family every week for money and his family is at wits end at what to do for him. Is there any agency in Birmingham that can assist him? I am very afraid for his well being. Its getting very desperate and we are out of answers. Please help.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I can imagine the possibility of him not getting the appropriate medications would cause you for concern. Typically local social services are not as effective in helping your son with his proper medications and treatment, so I do want to suggest these two options. One is contacting the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) as they have a great system of referrals to help your son in these situations.

Dr. Z :

In addition, I want to offer you these prescription drug plans for people with limited insurance or no insurance coverage, so that your son can get his medications at a very low cost or possibly for free in some cases.

Dr. Z :

In addition, this place in Birmingham have a reputation of providing great mental health treatment at low cost for individuals with severe mental illnesses like your son

Dr. Z :

Oh and here is the NAMI Birminigham chapter if you wanted to call here directly

Dr. Z :

These list the mental health agencies in the area that will be able to provide your son with mental health treatment for low income individuals.

Customer:

He is already seeing a dr. and he is not considered to be low income except that that the courts are taking almost all of his income. Between courts and having to pay higher rates for his insurance he cannot survive and that is not helping his mental health issues. Where can he get help for food and help with utilitiy costs? Its getting to the point that he wont be able to hold his job because he can't cope with his situation.

Dr. Z :

Well these are all the programs that can help your son with his utilities

Dr. Z :

And these are a list of the food banks in Birmingham to help your son as well

Dr. Z :

And this is the list of utility and energy bill assistance in Alabama too

Dr. Z :

And this is a list of all the other social services and charities that can help your son as well in Jefferson County

Dr. Z :

I see that you are offline right now, but when you get back online I would be very interested in continuing this discussion with you and talking about anything further you would like to share regarding your concern, so if you respond in the chat box I will be able to get back to you as soon as possible.