Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am 39 years old. I am a regular patient at a psychiatrist

I am 39 years old. I am a regular patient at a psychiatrist since 1 year.
I have a sad and shame story that happened to me at my childhood. I want to tell this story to someone. But I don't dare to tell her because she has relatives who I know.

The question: Do I tell her this story? Or go to another psychiatrist that I don't know at all.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you wiht your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are having this dilemma about telling your story to your psychiatrist.

Dr. Z :

I would like to let you know that all Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Medical Doctors, and therapists are required to keep everything that you say in private and under medical privilege. So that means she is not allowed to repeat anything you say in a session no matter what.

Dr. Z :

The only exceptions to this medical privacy laws are if you are at a risk of hurting yourself, hurting others, or if there is suspected child/elder abuse. But other than that everything you say is completely confidentiality and your psychiatrist will not break that confidentiality and your trust by telling others, especially relatives of hers that you know. It is unethical and against civil laws, so if she did tell anyone she could get sued and also she could lose her license to practice medicine.

Dr. Z :

So because you have been with this psychiatrist for so long and have developed a trusting therapeutic relationship with her, I would encourage you to tell her knowing that anything you say will not leave her office. If you still do not feel comfortable telling her then yes you are more than welcome to see another psychiatrist that you do not know at all since that would ease these concerns of yours.

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

I have an obsession about telling her

Customer:

i am afraid that she will tell them

Customer:

i want to be relaxed 100% in telling the story

Dr. Z :

She is bound by her ethics not to tell them and if she does than she can lose her license and she will not risk that at all, so you can be confident that what you say will only be between you and her

Customer:

Ok. Thank you

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome, I think once you tell her you will feel a lot better.

Dr. Z :

I wish you all the best regarding this issue. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome :)

Dr. Z :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.