Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I just started Lamictal 2 days ago and I am having mild itching

I just started Lamictal 2 days ago and I am having mild itching but enough to keep me awake at night, it is full body and I also feel a little burning, like a low grade sunburn. I have always had sensitive skin and the itches just require a light touch to go away, however I am freaked out because I have psoriasis on my chest goatie side burns and some in my scaple. How will I know if I have the rash or not. I am taking 25m for the first 2 weeks then up to 50. Is this itching a bad sign or will it go away and is it normal?

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are having these issues related to your Lamictal use.

Dr. Z :

Itchy skin is a common symptom of the Lamictal and typically it is temporary and usually goes away by the 8th week

Dr. Z :

I understand your concern with your history of psoriasis and the possible rash side effects associated with Lamictal. A rash associated with Lamictal and psoriasis typically look different and since you have a history of psoriasis, I am sure you understand what it looks like. The rash will be more red and without plaques. Also if you notice a rash or something you may consider possible psoriasis in areas where you have never had psoriasis then call your prescribing physician immediately

Dr. Z :

Just to make sure that the rash of Lamictal is not serious. Around 10 percent of people have been reported to have a minor rash associated with Lamictal and around 1 percent of individuals who use this medication have a incidence of XXXXX XXXXX's Syndrome.

Dr. Z :

The good news is that you are taking a very low dose, so your incidence of getting a rash or even XXXXX XXXXX's Syndrome is low.

Dr. Z :

But it is advised once you notice a rash, that looks different than your psoriasis, you should stop taking the medication immediately and consult with your prescribing physician.

Dr. Z :

As I stated most rash cases are not serious with this medication, but because it has a "Black Box Warning" most doctors choose to be safe and cautious with it. If you take the Lamictal for around 10-12 weeks and have no incidence of rashes, then most likely you will not get XXXXX XXXXX's Syndrome or any serious rashes in the future of taking this medication.

Customer:

My psoriasis doesn't really have plaques, they are just read spots that sometimes look like ringworm. So basically what you are saying this is not something I should be concerned about and it sounds like general start up symptoms? I want to keep taking the medicine because just in the few days I've taken it I notice a slight difference in my mood. I should notice the difference in rash and psoriasis as well you would say. I am having my wife check me every morning. Is it also ok to take Benedryl for the initial itching?

Customer:

Ask is there anything I can do to combat the feeling this medicine is drying me out. Gatorade?

Customer:

"Is" not "Ask".

Dr. Z :

Yes I would not worry initially as the itchy skin is common with this medication and is usually temporary. If your psoriasis looks more like ringworm, then the rash will look noticeably different as it is usually not in circles or spots, but more red and can resemble poison ivy rashes. Also at this dose this early, you should not be concerned about serious rashes yet, but it is good that you are checking yourself and your wife is checking you as well. Taking Benadryl may help

Dr. Z :

The dry mouth is an infrequent side effect, but that is usually temporary as well and you can take gatorade and drink plenty of fluids as well. Usually this lasts around 2-5 weeks for most people.

Dr. Z :

Also here is a good link describing the medication and explaining some of the common and rare side effects to it as well.

Customer:

Thank you.