JohnMichaels,MS,LPC
JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
68372260

my 5 year old daughter has been diagnosed with I.E.D., adhd

my 5 year old daughter has been diagnosed with I.E.D., adhd , and mood disorder NOS by a psychiatrist. a psychologist currently disagrees and suggested I ask the doc for a low dose Valium to be administered at school when she starts attacking the students and throwing chairs. he said that there is nothing like that to offer her. her currently has her on Depakote and guanfacine but the behavior is not improving. as a side note I was told during the evaluation on my daughter that her symptoms are usually only seen in males that become serial killers. REALLY???? just like that.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Please note, this is not therapy, but information. I do hope I can help you though.

Wow! That is a pretty extreme prognosis for such a young child. Do you mind telling me about any history that might be relevant, such as emotional trauma (divorce, death, etc)? What seems to trigger these outbursts? Are there any warning signs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

extreme tantrums at age 2, unlike her brother (shes a twin) no triggers that i can tell. she has rages that can last for hours. no deaths although she says everyone in her dreams are dead.night terrors most of her life, i should add that her father hasn't seen her in 2 years and is a very abusive person whom I parted ways from when they were 10 months old to avoid becoming a victim.i know he has a mental illness but will never be afforded that info. my concern is if the psychiatrist wont prescribe what the psychologist suggests and they are doing a 4 week evaluation on her, will he treat her for the new diagnosis or the one he came to in his initial 20 minute visit? both psychologist seem to think its very serious.she attacks adults and children and will try to jump out of moving cars.she is defiant in even the simple things like getting dressed,eating with utensils, wearing the seat belt. she was on adderal for 9 days and started scratching walls,talking to people who werent there and pulling her hair out. i stopped it immediately! no warning signs and no remorse afterward. I worry for her brother as she has pushed him down stairs. my question i guess is who is going to know more about what is really wrong with her? the psychiatrist never looks at her. the psychologist says that when he does there is nobody home.

Well I am not there to evaluate her, so it would be hard for me to question anybody's diagnosis. They should be able to work together as a team. As a rule, psychiatrists do generally prescribe medication. Psychologists are more about evacuation. I would talk to the psychiatrist about the psychologists recommendation and go from there. On a side note, I would look into the possibility of attachment disorder. Any traumatic experience in the first couple years of life can cause inability to properly attach and react to stresses. It sounds to me her first year was pretty traumatic.
Hi! I appreciate you allowing me to help you maybe arrive at a solution the other day. I hope I was helpful. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

John Michaels, MS, LPC
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you did nothing wrong, however when i created the account I did believe I would be able to speak with a psychiatrist or psychologist..I don't feel you could help any further but thank you just the same.

I apologize that you did not get the level of expert you hoped for. Honestly, specify a phd or md and that is likely who will respond. That said, I have looked by over our short duologue and feel it would be a god idea to mention RAD to whoever assesses her.