Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I was just reduced from 30 mg. celexa to 20 mg. for one week.

I was just reduced from 30 mg. celexa to 20 mg. for one week. Now on Sunday (that completing the week) I will be reduced to 10 mg of celexa and adding 10 mg of prozac for one week. Then the week after that down to 5 mg. of celexa for a week with 20 mg of prozac, then stopping celexa completely, and staying on just 20 mg. prozac.This is my psychiatrist's schedule for me.

My questions are - Is this a safe plan? Will I get serotonin syndrome? Will I be getting withdrawals from celexa and start up effects from prozac? I'm very scared.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I can understand your concern about switching from one medication to the other.

Dr. Z :

This is a very safe and conservative plan for switching between SSRI medications, and you should not get any adverse effects from this plan. Serotonin Syndrome is a very rare syndrome and is not usually seen, and with this plan your risk of Serotonin Syndrome is close to zero, so that should not concern you

Dr. Z :

Most likely you will not get any initial effects from the Prozac since your body has adjusted to Celexa and as you know these are very similar medications as they are SSRI antidepressants.

Dr. Z :

Now you may get some withdrawal effects from discontinuing the Celexa, but minor ones, because the Celexa is typically stronger than the Prozac. But these should be minor for you and temporary (not lasting more than 2 weeks).

Dr. Z :

I see that you are online, do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

will I get what I've heard called, "brain zaps" from discontinuing celexa or starting prozac?

Dr. Z :

No you should not get brain zaps from discontinuing the Celexa and starting on the Prozac. Typically brain zaps occur with the SNRI antidepressants, like Effexor. The minor withdrawal effects that you may get is some minor anxiety and minor restlessness, but nothing major and they will go away shortly too for you

Dr. Z :

Overall your prescribing physician put you on a safe plan

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No thank you.

Dr. Z :

Well I am happy that I was able to help you today, and I wish you the best of luck with your medication regimen. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Dr. Z :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much