Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

I just need to know what specific questions are asked in an

I just need to know what specific questions are asked in an interview when applying for a psychologist position. Also, if there are any specific guidelines used for the interview and what those guidelines are. It's for a school assignment, I have to put together a fake interview in which I will perform as the interviewee, however I will have to put together both the questions and answers before hand by myself. The interview has to last 15 minutes, and while I am required to elaborate on at least some of my answers, I still need quite a few interview questions from you, because I can only use what the professional I contact gives me. Thank you for the help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Mark :

Hi! I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Dr. Mark :

We need to start by finding out what type of position you're interviewing for. Is this in a mental health agency where you'll be conducting individual therapy, for example?

Customer:

Well, that's the problem I ran into. We chose our own field of interest or major for the assignment, and I chose psychology, but from what I understand, psychologists are essentially self employed. So, I'm really not even sure how to do this assignment for the field I've chosen.

Customer:

So, I was hoping you could suggest something for me.

Dr. Mark :

Okay, that's workable.

Dr. Mark :

Let's say that you are a psychologist that has been in private practice (self employed) for a period of time. And now

Dr. Mark :

you are applying for a position being the Director of Therapy at a non-profit community mental health agency. Something like that/

Dr. Mark :

do you think?

Customer:

That sounds perfect, so what kind of questions would be asked (specific if you can please)? And are there any guidelines that are used for the interview process or questions? We were given general interview guidelines but were told to use whatever guidelines our field uses if it's something different.

Dr. Mark :

That's good.

Dr. Mark :

First of all, remember: you're going to be the psychologist who's in charge of the therapy part of this community mental health organization.

Dr. Mark :

This is the first interview we're having with you.

Dr. Mark :

Point that out. That this is the first interview.

Dr. Mark :

No one will hire in our field on just the first interview.

Dr. Mark :

This, therefore, is to get an idea of who you are and your qualifications, okay?

Customer:

okay

Dr. Mark :

So, the questions are going to center on a few specific areas:

Dr. Mark :

I see you're typing, so I'll wait...

Customer:

He mentioned that we should be doing the first interview anyways I believe

Dr. Mark :

Good.

Customer:

sorry go ahead

Dr. Mark :

That's fine, I always am interested in your input..

Dr. Mark :

Okay, so the areas:

Dr. Mark :

First, is going to be your experience in working in an agency environment.

Dr. Mark :

You'll want to discuss your internship at a community mental health agency and post internship work at two different agencies.

Dr. Mark :

So that you're familiar.

Dr. Mark :

The next area will be to ask if you have had any supervisory experience.

Dr. Mark :

Remember: you're director, so there will be Masters level therapists who you'll be supervising.

Dr. Mark :

So you'll want to discuss your experience with working in treatment teams with the university hospital in your area while you were in private practice (I've done this) with specific clients you've had who needed hospitalization sometimes.

Dr. Mark :

With me so far?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Mark :

You'll also want to say that you've been a supervisor for 4 separate newly graduated therapists during your career who needed post-internship supervision to get hours for their licensure. You can use that language.

Dr. Mark :

And therefore you are confident in your ability to create a team atmosphere in this agency with the therapists who you will be directing.

Dr. Mark :

The third area they will ask you is if you've had experience working with people from different cultures and socioeconomic status.

Dr. Mark :

So you'll explain that in your private practice you accepted Medicaid which gave you the opportunity to work with people from many different backgrounds, employment situations, disabilities, etc.

Dr. Mark :

Still with me?

Customer:

Yes, this is all great

Dr. Mark :

The final area will be about your therapy paradigm:

Dr. Mark :

or therapy orientation.

Dr. Mark :

This means whether you practice CBT, psychodynamic therapy, etc.

Dr. Mark :

You can look these up.

Dr. Mark :

You'll explain that you've been trained in an eclectic therapy orientation format.

Dr. Mark :

You can look that up too.

Dr. Mark :

And that you are certified in EMDR and have experience working with trauma.

Dr. Mark :

And so you are confident that you can work with the therapists on staff with whichever orientation they each practice. Okay?

Customer:

Okay, great. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX think I will be able to span this interview across 15 minutes with this information?

Dr. Mark :

Yes. And if you have time,

Customer:

assuming I answer the questions adequately in the interview

Dr. Mark :

then after these four areas,

Dr. Mark :

they will ask you if you have questions for them!

Dr. Mark :

That gives you a cushion.

Dr. Mark :

That's a common thing that will actually happen.

Customer:

Haha perfect, thank you so much. I haven't been able to contact any professionals in the field at all; you're the first one to speak to me. Are there any specific interview guidelines that the interviewer has to follow? If not, that's fine, but I'm supposed to ask.

Dr. Mark :

No. In the mental field, each agency is really independent, a community organization. They are not "major companies". And the interview process is expected to be personal, so to speak, not very formalized.

Dr. Mark :

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Okay, so when I select a rating and hit "submit", will it take me to a page where I can pay the rest of the money, or does it just take the rest out automatically?

Dr. Mark :

It will allow you to pay the rest and to copy and paste the chat, etc. Okay?

Customer:

Okay, thanks for the help. Excellent service

Dr. Mark :

By the way. All the very best to you and maybe you will decide to come into the field!

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice