Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have a 49 year old son (Brett), who can not let go of his

Customer Question

I have a 49 year old son (Brett), who can not let go of his perceived hurt from when he was a child, a young man and a even now, by other members of our family. There is possibly a lot of foundation for his agner, but I can not bear to put up with his shouting and blame putting any more. I am in the middle of moving house and downsizing. I asked him if he wanted to come and collect all the tools and equipment that I can no longer keep & he is staying in our property in a little caravan I gave him, which he tows in a 75 Series Toyota LandCruiser Ute that I gave him. He will be alright for a short time, buit he keeps becoming very aggitated and ranting about everything that his family has done to him. I don't know how much to say on here, but I will give you as muich of an ourtline as I can as quickly as I can. He has problems withj his daughter and Ex- parner who used him to get pegnant, now he wants to but will not have anything to do with daughter or Ex and is very hurt about that. His elder brother (Died at 42 years of age in 2001 - Larry) would not let him have materials to work with from my business which I had to walk away from, after heart surgery & a stroke inm 1981. I gave the business to Larry, because I was in a bad waymyself after the Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery. I am now 78 years of age and have had CFS, Fibromyalgia, Thrombosis, two lopts of CABGs (1981 & 1997) as well as a Stent +/- 2007, Atrial Fibrilation Pacemaker fitted, Pulmonary Embolisms and Spinal problems for which I have had unsuccessful Surgery & attend the RB&WHospital Pain Clinic with Pros Julkia Fleming and need to keep an appointment next FRiday, because of my pain. Brett's sister was supposed to help him get in contact with his daughter (now about 16 ???), took over too much and had a lot of contact without Brett. Now he resents her & her husband and will not have anything to do with her. He says his other sister has taken him down in many ways. Last night he saw some photos on my computer of my 55th wedding anniversary family get together, including some of his Ex and daughter, to which he was not invited, because he has repeatedly said that he will have nothing to do with the family. He ranted last night, but came back later and was quite sociable. This morning my wife went past his caravan ( he usually stays in until 10:00, 11:00 or 12:00 in the morning) and he started out OK, but she gets confused quicklyand they were discussing something about the distance to where we were moving to. She often get muddled about conversations and expresses herself poorly. He became very aggitated while speaking to her and suddenly started shouting and talking about his EX and his daughter being more important than he is and going back over every wrong he sees as being done to him. when he does this there is possibnly a lot of truth in what he says, but he expects me to hhave fixed everything always and it is always that I have done nothing to help him/support him. He is quite abusive swearing and shouting. I knopw he doesn't really mean it, but I am not as good as I was and this is affecting me, my wife & he himself. He needs help urgently. HE was seeing a Government Psychiatrist in Ipswich. His GP (who I believe didn't think treated me very appropriatly and I had to get othert assistance to find out that I had the embolisms in my lungs). because Brett adamitted to him that he had experimented with a few drugs some time previously told the Psychiatrist that Brett was an ongoing drug user. Brett believes that she antagonised him purposly, to make him upset, then told hiom he was a very angry person and called in her bodyguards. For several years he has seen nobody for his mental health problems, but sees and African GP in the Ipswich region, whom Brett more or less tollerates and thinks is OK.

I don't know what to expect today now - not violence - but nobody can live vertyu well or safely with all the problems and yes anger in his head. I am very concerned for his well being. I haven't said yet - Brett is on a disability pension. He seems to be developing all the health problems that I have had, CFS, Fibromyalgia, Embolisma in his lungs, A Thrombosed Jugular vein, for whioch he had trouble getting anyone to believe that he had, an inability to adjust to Warfarin ( as did I). HJe had a motorcycle smash afetr he finidhed his apprenticeship, which he undertook with me, after he resfused to go back and finish Gr.10. I managed to get the Apprenticeship dept to agree even though his levels were below apprenticeship entry at that time. After the smash I did try to help him, but it took a long time fort his badly broken leg to mend and he had pins in it for ages and it rebroke after he left hospital. I ran a family business where I was on call 24/7 doing Industrial Electrical work for over 12 years and I had worked for others in a similar manner for all my working life. Do you have any ideas Bill Pilgrim.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help with this situation.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your son seems deeply disturbed.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He has issues with every family member in his life, despite the great deal of kindness shown to him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You mentioned that he is the way he is now because of "perceived" hurt (I presume hurts) that he received continuously from childhood until now.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Since you said "perceived" I assume that he is the one perceiving it, rather than you or the rest of your family.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am assuming that the onset of his condition, which seems to be characterised by exaggerated claims and thoughts of being persecuted.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

came about later in life, rather than in his childhood.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is possible that this behaviour may be due to either his motorcycle accident, or because of extensive drug use.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He was probably thoroughly examined at the time of his crash for head/brain injuries.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He could be examined again for any brain lesions by taking scans.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Although drug use could bring on these symptoms, you would probably know if he was a major drug user. Drugs such as LSD or Exstasy could do this to him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If not, then it is most likely that he may be suffering from a psychotic disorder, called Delusional Disorder, Persecutory Type, in which he believes that he is being in some way intentionally cheated, drugged, followed, slandered, or otherwise mistreated.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A person with this disorder would otherwise function and behave normally and would not be affected markedly apart from direct consequences of the delusion.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

His psychiatrist should be able to recognise this behaviour but maybe is not capable. I am surprised to hear that she had bodyguards. to protect her, but perhaps he gets very out of hand.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If this diagnosis is actually made, there are medications that will keep him on a more even keel

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your best move is to speak with his psychiatrist or another one and suggest that he may be suffering from Delusional Disorder, as his behaviour fits the symptmoms

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish your family great success for the health of all of you including Brett. I shall keep all of you in my prayers, Bill.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHCC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sir some of the hurts are quite real. We all have these problems in our lives, but of course some more than others. The problem is that he appears to dwell on everything instead of living a life. He can't seem to rise above any thing that has hurt him the slightesty little bit. As far as I know he hasn't used drugs very much and seems to be offended by a suggestion that he would. I don't believe that the lady Psychiatrist is very capable. A person taking on such a position should be able to read her clients. I believe that as soon as the bodyguards became obvious that any relationship would start to slide down the drain and would be difficult to recover. I had lengthy experience from teaching young and olderr adults. I treated my sdtudents well, but never had one face me down over any problem that occured. My son seems to exagerate his problems, even if they did occur. They are not occuring now except in his mind. I think maybe he wants people punished for past misdeeds no matter how bad or how small. He is very low on confidence and is continually trying to tell me and others how well he can do things. He is really quite capable in many practical areas., but only seems to be able to associate well with people in a low Socio-economic region. I am a little sorry I contasted this site, as it seems that you are not in a p[osition to do much at all. I hadn't realised that you were in the States. Unless you have more solid materiall and places to consult, it appears that you are not able to assist all that much. No professional in Australia would even talk with me about Brett's problem. I need more definite ionformation, about particular professionals or Gov. departments where I may get help for him. I have no money and he has less..

Charge me something as I have used the service, but gained little.

Regards. Bill Pilgrim.

Dear Bill,

I believe that I have given you more information about Brett than you have received from countless sessions from the cowardly psychiatrist who is afraid of a man with delusions.

Yesterday, at a military base, I interviewd a soldier who had spent 8 years as a marine forward gunner in Afghanistan and Iraq and participated and witnessed in hundreds of killings, and as a result, told me that he had homicidal thoughts and was ready to kill someone "in a heartbeat". I was surrounded by soldiers but I told nobody, took him aside and convinced him to get therapy. I even brought in another therapist from the VA. If you care about your clients you don't fear them and they will never hurt you.

Instead, he gave me a big hug and said "thank you brother for listening to me and hearing me and trusting me."

This psychiatrist is not good and has not told you what I told you.

Your son, most likely, has a psychosis, called Delusional Disorder, Persecutory Type, unless he is otherwise damaged, but I do not think so.

He is psychotic, i.e. severely mentally ill, and will not respond to logic but can be helped with antipsychotic medications or mood stabilisers with the help of a properly trainined and motivated psychiatrist.

I have given you excellent help.

If you just give me positive feedback, I shall be satisfied. I do this for a living, but above that, I do it as a service to others because I love people and because I am effective.

In any case, I hold your family in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have done as much as possible. I just need more practical local help. I had observed much of what you say & I don't doubt yopur work or skill.

Regards Bill

Dear Bill.

I do not doubt that you can find some better local help. Its time to start making inquiries as your son's condition will not improve but may deteriorate.

Thank you for your confidence in me. I shall continue to keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't know what happened, this program suddenly took my letter to you away. I don't know if you will get it or not. It is only a few words, that do not mean much on their own. I shall not start again as I Am very tired. I am going to have a long hard day (for me) tomorrow and I am still in a lot of pain now. In a couple of days, possibly Sunday or Monday, I am driving to Bundaberg to help my daughter. My family cetainly keeps me busy. I will be glad when I can relax for a long time.

My regards & good wishes, Bill Pilgrim.

Dear Bill,

You do put out a lot of love and effort and concern for your children. It will come back to you in future, when you need them.

I am sorry if something you wrote disappeared. All that you have written that was transmitted to JustAnswer is on this page.

I know that you are tired and in great need of some rest. May I suggest that you treat yourself to a fine meal, and then do something relaxing for you - whatever is your heart's desire.

Get a well deserved rest.

I shall keep you and your family in my prayers.

If you need any support, please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Warm regards,

Elliott