Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

My 34 yr old son has not worked in 2 1/2 yrs. he lost that

My 34 yr old son has not worked in 2 1/2 yrs. he lost that job due to drinking and not showing up to work. He has been arrested 2 times in different states for DUI. He has been lying about everything. He blames all his issues on others. He thinks he is smarter and knows more than anyone else. If he is left alone to do "his thing" life around him is smooth, if you question or confront him, he becomes surly, intimidating and generally difficult to be around. He is living in my home, as I thought it would allow him to get on his feet but he ignores any suggestion about applying for a job. I suspect he has stolen medication from me and money. He refuses to seek medical care even when I said I would help him. I know he has emotion issues that need counseling and medication but how do I get this for him when he insists he has no problems?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 9 months ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this overwhelming reality.

Customer:

I am trying to find how to get him help. I think if told he can't live at home anymore with out seeking help he will comply. At least I hope so. Looking for resources in Delaware.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What you describe here is very sad and frustrating, since it shows how seriously his alcoholism and other mental health problems have deeply undermined his life at multiple levels.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please, could you provide your zip code?

Customer:

19904

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thanks. Let me see.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am gathering the information you need for local treatment programs for your son.

Customer:

thanks

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

He needs a dual-diagnosis program, which is a specialized program for people suffering of addictions and other mental health disorders. You're welcome.

Customer:

If in patient it doesn't have to be near 19904. We would travel to even Philadelphia if necessary

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

These are the closest treatment centers offering treatment for dual-diagnosis patients:

- Rehab After Work & Life Counseling Services /(NNN) NNN-NNNNDover, Delaware 19904
- Mid-Atlantic Behavioral Health /(NNN) NNN-NNNNNewark, Delaware 19713
- American Addiction Centers /(NNN) NNN-NNNNWilmington, Delaware 19803

Customer:

Are they out patient or in patient?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I do totally support your decision to set healthy, consistent and clear limits and boundaries here, because there is no other way you could support your son in really assertive ways.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The last two offer both, inpatient and outpatient treatment, while Rehab After Work & Life Counseling Services only offers outpatient support.

Customer:

Thank you. XXXXX call them before telling my son to see what they recommend?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sure, I think that will be much better, for you to get well informed about their options and services in advance. Please remember that treatment , whether inpatient or outpatient would only work in the person truly commits to work hard n hi rehabilitation process.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

And I think that only when people face real tough consequences from their own choices and actions, is when they allow themselves to consider real change, otherwise they would continue to use and abuse those who support them, unaware of who their support could end enabling further addictions, dysfunctions and abuse.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Thank you for your trust.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or to follow up, since I am here willing to support you as much as possible.

Customer:

I understand that. It will remain up to him. But if he chooses to not seek help, I can't allow him to remain in my home. His sister feels it is time to make him face reality and I need to feel safe in my own home.

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Absolutely, I do totally support you, please commit to your plan for you to take good care of yourselves and to exclusively offer what could be healthy and beneficial for his rehabilitation process.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

There is no rehabilitation without taking full responsibility for his own feelings, choices and actions, and all the consequences they create. Thank you for your trust.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Bye for now.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

(Please do not forget to rate session before you leave the chat. Thank you).

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach