Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I have been on Cymbalta (60mg) for several years - I had to

I have been on Cymbalta (60mg) for several years - I had to quit taking for 3 mos due to acute kidney failure - My kidneys are fine now - I feel weak and light headed - Drs have checked everything else, and think this is depression - Tried to take Cymbalta and it knocked me out - Am now trying a 30 mg dose - Do I need to consult a psychiatrist to adjust anti-depression medication?

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am sorry that you had these issues with the Cymbalta and your kidneys before.

Dr. Z :

First off after 3 months of not using the Cymbalta, you should have started at an initial dose 30mg or even lower in some cases to let your body adjust the medication and then slowly and gradually increase the dose to the 60mg that you were at before, so it is possible tha the "knocked me out" feeling that you had was caused by taking too high of a dose too soon

Dr. Z :

I think seeing a psychiatrist would be a great idea for you as you may not have typical symptoms of depression, if that is what you medical doctors believe that you have. And a psychiatrist can recommend an appropriate assortment of psychotropic medications to help you with these symptoms that may be more effective than the Cymbalta, with less side effects.