Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have a unfortunate issue where I am blessed with depression

I have a unfortunate issue where I am blessed with depression and anxiety ... now I was put on meds when I was about 14 yrs old, sucked ... I am a very deep passionate person and well it took away the only internal things I was good at (FEELING) feeling pain hurt love ... although my anxiety and depression came to a dull roar I decided to quit the meds cause it was taking away who I was as a person as my dad says '' a 2% er '' meaning there are only 2% of us who are how we are and feel how we feel ... see the world in a different beautiful respectfull way, and he was right when he said... son your gunna know as soon as you meet one of us.. (2%er) and I did.. as simple as a look or a touch I knew instantly. Anyway I am recently a new dad new house white picket fence wich is not my style but its "the way" don't get me wrong I love my daughter to death and that is why I have resently gone back on anti deppresant and anxiety meds . If your wondering why its because when I get "sick" as I like to say itcompletely imobolizes me and the demons take over. not in aharmfully way but I just cant face my little girl when im like that and suicidal thoughts are hurting my mind and my wifes heart she doesn't understand and neither do I , these pills help... but what are they doing to me? is it better to be numb then to be ... daily activities are easier for me but I don't seem to care as deeply about things I love and don't wanna fade away into a zombie, any input would be great
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Give me one minute to read over your question so that I can better help you

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Z :

So it seems like from your question that you definitely have serious depression and anxiety issues and you are very creative person, but when you take anti-depressant medication you feel numb and it dulls your creative side, but helps with your mental health symptoms. Is this correct?

Customer:

my father has bi polar manic depressant as doctors says he does not agree but that must be where it comes from

Dr. Z :

There are strong genetic factors with mental health disorders, but we do not fully understand the cause of mental health disorders

Customer:

ya ... its like a wall when it hits, its the strangest thing... I don't want my daughter dealing with what I had to deal with growing up so meds is the way? its embarrassing to say I have to take meds

Dr. Z :

First off you should not feel embarrassed about taking medications. If you had a physical disorder like heart disease or Diabetes, wouldn't you take medications for that? Same thing applies here, but this disorder involves the most complicated part of the human body, the brain.

Customer:

how harmfull are the meds I listed to me when I take daily

Dr. Z :

I would like to propose an alternative approach that has been successful in treating depression and anxiety and some studies show that it is just as effective as the medications. It is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Customer:

how do I get involved

Dr. Z :

Well I think you meant escitalopram for the first medication you listed, and it is very effective and has the least amount of side effects of most antidepressants. The Ativan is very effective for anxiety, but it is also very physically addicting too, so if you take it for a sustained period of time you will have to taper off it slowly to avoid serious withdrawal effects. But both medications are safe to take for the long term

Dr. Z :

Well you can find a therapist that specializes in CBT to help you. Also I can recommend some good treatment books as well, give me a second to pull them up for you

Customer:

thanks I just get freaked out when I read the side effects listed

Dr. Z :

Well I would like to say that the serious side effects to those medications occur in less than one percent of the population, so typically the benefits outweigh the risks.

Dr. Z :

CBT is the most effective and evidence based therapy modality to date that can treat your depression and anxiety

Dr. Z :

Also the use of natural supplements like St. Johns Wort, Valerian Root, Omega-3 (fish oil), and Glutamate have been shown to be effective in treating depressive and anxiety symptoms as well

Dr. Z :

But you should only take the Omega-3 with the medications, as the other natural supplements combined with your medications can cause adverse effects.

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.