Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

i am a 23 year old male university student and i havent been

i am a 23 year old male university student and i havent been getting good grades lately, i have been running out of money due to lack of hours at work and have starved myself because i didnt want to spend money and i had no food to eat. Tonight i was at work and the machine i was working on broke and i did not do anything to break it its just dodgy. I am scared that i will lose my job, i am already struggling with money and finding another will take weeks. i have a supportive loving family and girlfriend and i am sick of complaining to them about my situation because it makes me look bad in their eyes. im running out of reasons to keep trying to go forward and have lost the motivation to continue. I have never thought about dying but it seems like an easy way out. and ive had enough of the hard way. Must every human being on this planet live by working their arse off for other people just to be able to live a happy life?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Customer:

hello

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you have been struggling with these issues of work and school recently, I can imagine how distressing this must be for you

Customer:

i dont know if its all that bad

Dr. Z :

It sounds like you have been struggling with depression and anxiety recently from the symptoms you have described, have you considered seeing a therapist?

Dr. Z :

Well I do not think it is severe, but it can progress to severe given time

Customer:

no just because i usually get through it

Customer:

most of the time i bounce back

Customer:

but i had bad grades at uni recently and i have never failed a unit for the 3 years i have done it, but most of all i cant concentrate on uni because i have this weight of financial trouble over my head

Customer:

i am just getting by and if i lose my job i will have to lean on my family again

Customer:

they dont need that

Dr. Z :

And those are very understandable concerns that would cause anyone anxiety/stress

Dr. Z :

I think that a specific type of therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) may be able to help you manage this stress better and help you focus more on school

Dr. Z :

so that you do not get bad grades

Customer:

the problem is it has been a rollercoaster for the past year, i lost my job at the start of the year wichi i worked 70 hours over the holidays just to keep. i bought a car for 6 grand with the money cause i wanted a nice one that actually worked (other car broke down) i bought it and that very same day i got a letter from the government saying i owed them 4000... whcih i was stupid about...

Customer:

therefore i applied for jobs for 6 weeks while my girlfriend helped me out. finally got one. The people there dont treat me as one of them I know im not accepted there but i need the money so i dealt with it

Customer:

they paid me just enough to scrape by and id ask my gf for money if i didnt have enough for fuel

Customer:

(all the while trying to concentrate on money

Customer:

Uni*

Customer:

i want out of this situation but im losing hope to find a way out... everyone tells me it will be fine once you finish

Customer:

and get a job

Customer:

but i have no idea wether i will or not, or whether ill get paid a descent wage

Dr. Z :

These are a lot of stressors in your life and a lot of worries in your life which are all understandable, but they have compounded and not they are causing you great stress and anxiety. I would like to introduce you to a few CBT techniques that may help you with your symptoms. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Dr. Z :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Dr. Z :

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping lessen anxiety symptoms. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

Dr. Z :

Also individuals with anxiety have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help you develop a better coping strategy to manage your symptoms better.

Dr. Z :

These two books are also really effective in helping manage anxiety as well.

Dr. Z :

This is a link for something called Progressive Muscle Relaxation that can help you create a long term calm by using muscle tension and release techniques; it can help manage your anxiety and is very similar to a style of meditation.

Dr. Z :

Now for the supplements, the St. Johns Wort is very effective, also Omega-3, Glutamate, and Valerian root can be added to increase anti-anxiety effects

Dr. Z :

Now these techniques will not get rid of your stressors or issues, but it will help you manage them and deal with them so that they do not effect you as much

Customer:

yea that sounds good, one question though, i have tried to do positive thinking strategies and other ways to not concentrate on whats going on but so far i keep going back to my old ways. is this normal? and how can i get to the point that i dont 'relapse' so to speak.

Dr. Z :

And using these techniques are also cheaper then seeing a therapist too

Customer:

^and think positively automatically

Dr. Z :

These techniques are not positive thinking strategies, they are objective thinking strategies and if you keep practicing them for months they will start to be more ingrained in your mind to help you change your thought process to not always focus on the negative

Customer:

well i answered my own question if i do your suggestions there should be a good chance i may actually become more positive about things.

Customer:

hmm

Dr. Z :

You will become more objective and positive by focusing on the alternative thoughts and not just the negative

Dr. Z :

These will help you a lot

Customer:

anything will help me at the moment :)

Dr. Z :

I think they will definitely help you, but if you feel like you need some more help than I would encourage you to speak to a therapist on a regular basis. Some universities have free counseling centers for their students, so that may be something you would be interested in

Customer:

yes i was going to go there tomorrow but i needed some advice now while it was fresh i guess. Thank you for your help

Dr. Z :

I understand, I feel the these techniques will work well for you, but like all therapy it is a gradual process and will take some time for it to be effective for you

Customer:

hmm i cant seem to load all of them. i will keep trying though.

Dr. Z :

You are right not all of them are working, let me check the homepage of the website to see if it is temporarily down

Dr. Z :

Yeah I think it is temporarily down, most likely due to maintenance. I just used this website yesterday, so the links will work for you, just give it a couple hours. If not, let me know and I will point you to another website

Customer:

ok will do thank you for your advice

Customer:

really needed it at the moment

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

not at this time

Dr. Z :

Well I want to wish you the best of luck and I hope that this anxiety/stress in your life lessens soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Dr. Z :

Oh and also when you finish rating me, this chat will be sent as a link to your email, if it has not already, so you can always use it for future reference. In addition, this chat will be saved in your JA account under My Questions so you can always go back to it when you need to

Dr. Z :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.