Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

what is a good natural supplement for alprazolam. Thanks

what is a good natural supplement for alprazolam.
Thanks
Mary

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are tired of taking alprazolam (Xanax). Now there are no effective natural supplements that can mimic the potency of the alprazolam as this is a very powerful medication.

Dr. Z :

But the best natural supplements that can help with anxiety issues are St. Johns Wort, Valerian Root, Omega-3 (Fish Oil, and Glutamate.

Dr. Z :

Also KAVA root has been shown to be effective in some studies as well

Dr. Z :

Here are a list of other natural supplements that may help you as well

Dr. Z :

In addition, you should not discontinue the alprazolam abruptly as this can cause serious withdrawal effects, so you should taper off the alprazolam in a slow manner to avoid or minimize these withdrawal effects

Dr. Z :

Here is a good tapering off schedule from Dr. Ashton who is the leading authority on benzodiazepines

Dr. Z :

I see that you are online now,so I will stop typing and please feel free to ask me any questions that you like.

Dr. Z :

Another natural alternative would also be the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as this is the most evidence based therapy that is effective in treating anxiety. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Dr. Z :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Dr. Z :

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping lessen anxiety symptoms. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

Dr. Z :

Also individuals with severe anxiety have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help you develop a better coping strategy to manage your symptoms better.

Dr. Z :

This is a link for something called Progressive Muscle Relaxation that can help you create a long term calm by using muscle tension and release techniques; it can help manage your anxiety and is very similar to a style of meditation.

Dr. Z :

These two books are also really effective in helping manage anxiety as well.

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

will the natural way help with the withdrawl I only take 0.5 mg couple times a day

Dr. Z :

The natural supplements will not help with the withdrawal symptoms. It would be best to decrease slowly your intake of the Alprazolam gradually till you discontinue completely

Dr. Z :

Alprazolam is a very physically addicting medication and this is why you must taper off it slowly

Customer:

Ok will talk with

Customer:

Doctor

Customer:

Thank U will print off the natural ones U sent

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help and also when you finish rating me, this chat will be sent as a link to your email, if it has not already, so you can always use it for future reference. In addition, this chat will be saved in your JA account under My Questions so you can always go back to it when you need to

Customer:

Thanks