Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have been taking 20mg of Citalopram for 5 days now and have

I have been taking 20mg of Citalopram for 5 days now and have been getting bad headaches, chest pains, and I feel really anxious. Is this normal or should I go and ask my doctor?

Dr. Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr. Vikas :

Citalopram is a SSRI antidepressant and just like all other SSRI antidepressant can initially worsen anxiety symptoms before treating them. Many patients who start Citalopram experience severe anxiety symptoms like nausea, palpitation, sweating, rapid heart rate, giddiness, vomiting sensation, headache, chest pain etc to name a few.

Dr. Vikas :

If you are physically and medically fit and are experiencing these symptoms after starting Citalopram, then it is very much likely that these symptoms you have mentioned are because of Citalopram.

Dr. Vikas :

In most cases, these symptoms subside within 7-14 days of starting the treatment or increasing the dose. However, if you are not able to tolerate these symptoms or they increase in frequency and severity, you should consult your doctor. Assuming that, these symptoms are indeed because of Citalopram, in that case, simply decreasing the dose of Citalopram to 15 or 10 mg per day or adding a low dose of Clonazeapm .25 mg once or twice daily by your doctor should be enough for controlling these symptoms.

Dr. Vikas :

I hope this helps. Please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Dr. Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr. Vikas :

Vikas