Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I was prescribed anafranil for anxiety, is this a safe medication

I was prescribed anafranil for anxiety, is this a safe medication and good one too?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 10 months ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Anafranil (clomipramine) is a TCA (tricyclic antidepressant).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is used as an antidepressant and mainly for two specific types of anxiety:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Panic Disorder (with or without Agoraphobia

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you have either of these or just GAD (general anxiety disorder)?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Who prescribed this? Your family physician or a psychiatrist?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It does have a lot of side effects (alas they all do), but why were you given this one? What was the reasoning behind it?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How long have you been taking it?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you have any other disorders and do you take any other medications. If so, which ones?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have asked you several questions but this is the only means by which I can give you the best informed response.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is acceptable for anxiety but may not be the drug of choice. I see that you are typing and I await your responses.

Customer:

Im sorry are you a psychiatrist?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

No, I am a clinical counselor and it is part of my knowledge base to know about psychotropic drugs and their effects and efficacy, and I did my internship under a psychiatrist, and went to med school for two years, for whatever any of that is worth.

Customer:

Sorryi would like someone qualified to answer my question with doctor. Thank you though

Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 10 months ago.
Hello from JA
I am a double board certified doctor....
What is your main concern about this medication?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I would like to go back to the mental health category please

In fact there is no psychiatrist on line, but I am a board certified internal medicine doctor, and integrative medicine doctor and I am trained in psychiatry, and have over 20 years of experience ...actually longer, with this type of medicine.....
It is an older choice....
It is not necessarily the best....

Would you like to continue or wait?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Would like to go back to the mental health category please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.
Anafranil is generally not well tolerated as a first line treatment for anxiety and I would not recommend it because the side effects are very severe and it is such an old antidepressant/antianxiety medication. I would instead recommend the use of a SSRI antidepressant called Lexapro at 10-20mg as this is more effective and has less side effects. If you have any questions or concerns at all please ask.
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.