Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My 13-year-old son is a good kid and well liked by his teachers

My 13-year-old son is a good kid and well liked by his teachers and peers. He was recently diagnosed with dysgraphia -- writing is both physically and mentally challenging for him. He often complains that it is difficult because he cannot concentrate on physically writing while always thinking about what he is writing and then adding punctuation and grammar on top of that. He is very bright, particularly in math, but is struggling with geometry because it involves so many steps. I see a pattern of him getting overwhelmed when he thinks there's too much to think about.
I was wondering about ADD, but he is in no way disruptive at school and very much a rule follower. But he has a very difficult time keeping himself organized. Is this part of being a 13-year-old boy or is it something I should further look into? He complains that there is a lot of noise in his head sometimes; though he is the child that can play music during band while chaos ensues around him.
How do I work with a child like this? How do we get him organized enough on his own to be successful? Should we have him tested for ADD?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you with this question.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is very possible, even likely, that your son has ADHD (used to be called ADD). Some children with this disorder talk about hearing a noise in their head, although not an official symptom.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Being chaotic and disorganized are classic signs, Not all ADHD involves behavior problems but just lack of focus and organized.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dysgraphia often accompanies ADHD because the child cannot concentrate long enough to get it right.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Take a look at this article.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.healthyplace.com/adhd/articles/dysgraphia-and-adhd/

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You should definitely have him checked out by a child psychiatrist or psychologist. There may be ways to help him focus without using medications but more often than not children with ADHD are given one of several drugs that can help them get back on track.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

From what you have said, he probably has ADHD and now is the best time to get him assessed and start treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Most children grow out of this, so you needn't be concerned that this will ruin his life. Some children carry it into adulthood but most don't. He may respond to special training programs that help him focus, or may require of the medications.

Customer:

He is in a gifted magnet program, and I cannot help but wonder whether the amount and level of work required exacerbate the problem. I guess the only real way to find out is to have him assessed. Thanks!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He is obviously highly intelligent, and maybe more so for the music and arts and theoretical math. There are many intelligences and he has some of them but not all. None of us do.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would say that getting him tested is a good next move. I would also urge you to get two opinions on medication and if both agree then go for it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep him, and your family, in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Customer:

And both his parents are editors. Bu that's a question for another day. Thanks again.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC