Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Our son has been diagnosed with BDD and has received CBD therapy

Our son has been diagnosed with BDD and has received CBD therapy at an OCD clinic and one month of residential living for exposure therapy. At home he reverts back to the habits that keep him from functioning well outside the home. His therapist has had a child and is not working the next few months. He needs someone (besides me) to discuss his beliefs (symptoms). Do you know of a forum that could assist him and help motivate him on a regular basis? His therapist encourages him to work with only those having training specific to BDD. Thank you!

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Customer:

Thanks. All help is appreciated.

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you son has been struggling with Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) and OCD, I can imagine how stressful that must be for him and for you to see him like this.

Customer:

Heartbreaking!

Dr. Z :

There are a few forums that I can recommend, let me pull up my list of them. But I wanted to as does you son have and good Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) workbooks that he can use at home to practice his CBT techniques?

Customer:

Yes, we have workbooks written by Dr. Katharine Phillips.. He has not wanted to work through him because "he is not ill."

Customer:

He has not been able to work or go to school for over two years.

Dr. Z :

Okay well she is very good, and I have read a few of her books before. I can recommend other CBT books not dependent on BDD though if you like.

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your son has been struggling with this for so long

Dr. Z :

So here are some good forums for BDD for your son

Customer:

When he has received therapy not related to his BDD symptoms, it has not been helpful for his particular symptoms. It gave him someone to talk to.

Customer:

Thank you for the references.

Customer:

I have actually been to two of these sites and will certainly try the third. Thank you.

Dr. Z :

That is frustrating I can imagine, these forums are usually peer based, so they may be able to motivate him and give him insight as these individuals are going through similar symptoms as him

Dr. Z :

Also what I would recommend would be peer support groups. Usually there are support groups sponsored at the local community center that may help him

Customer:

Thank you. That might actually be helpful.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

No. Thank you.

Dr. Z :

Well I wish your son all the best with his continued treatment and I hope that his symptoms lessen very soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Dr. Z :

Oh and also when you finish rating me, this chat will be sent as a link to your email, if it has not already, so you can always use it for future reference. In addition, this chat will be saved in your JA account under My Questions so you can always go back to it when you need to

Customer:

Thank you!