Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

i have been off work with melancholic depression and anaemia

i have been off work with melancholic depression and anaemia and i am worried about what to say when other staff members confront me.The manager knows that one of the reasons in melancholic depression because the psychiatrist wrote it on the certificate.So what do i say when someone strikes up a conversation without sounding hostile or rude.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this very frustrating situation, to know you have been suffering of depression and that it's not affecting you this way at your workplace.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sorry I meant: ...suffering of depression and that it is now affecting you this way...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please tell me more about how these coworkers have been "confronting" you?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It is your immediate supervisor's responsibility to make sure your work team does show respect, understanding and support about your condition, since depression is a chronic and tough mental health disorder and nobody should be discriminated or pushed in anyway because of it.

Customer:

this is a new workplace i have only been there 2 months before i got sick.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If somebody asks you why you feel or appear this or that way, you could simply say that you are rehabilitating from depression, for them to be well aware of it, show respect and support.

Customer:

So you think its better if i am straightforward

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Absolutely, otherwise it could lead to misunderstandings and discrimination because of assuming you have personal issues around any of these coworkers, when in fact it's nothing about them, and you need respect and support, not to be pushed away.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Being depressed is not your fault or something anybody should blame you for experiencing it. it is a mental health disorder, a tough condition, and the last thing a person in your shoes needs is to get a negative or hostile attitude from coworkers because of suffering of this disorder. You do not need to get into details, but just make it clear that it is not about your job or them at all, for them to be respectful and supportive.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are being very assertive allowing yourself to go back to work, and as long as you keep receiving necessary medical treatment for the problem around anemia, and psychotherapy for rehabilitating from depression, you should feel proud about yourself, for getting back to work.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Just make sure to be very proactive in order to make things easier for you there, and that's why it seems necessary to clarify this situation with your supervisor's support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

i have medical cover so far until the 1/11/2013. Initially on first contact in early sept told my supervisor that i was unwell and had to have my medication reviewed and then i faxed as per her request the medical certificate.The second time when my leave was medically extended i told her i was slowly getting better but still was unfit for work.do you feel thta was appropriate.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Not at all, it was necessary and healthy, otherwise you would have been neglecting yourself and not clarifying the core reason for your medical-health leave and the challenges you were facing due to the impact depression has had on you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That was very appropriate and necessary.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please be sure that as long as you set your mental and physical health and well-being as number one priorities in your life, everything to do in order to protect and promote them, with responsibility, would be fine, and I do not see any wrong doing here.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do you have any additional questions I could help you with?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am here to support you, thus please feel free to ask any other question or to contact me as needed.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for your trust.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach