Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Hi, I want to file for disability due to mental illness. However,

Hi, I want to file for disability due to mental illness. However, I just moved to Georgia and I am seeing a different psychiatrist for the first time. Will he be reluctant to fill out a Mental Capacity Report or would he have to consult with my psychiatrist in Florida.....I saw him for 4 years.

Thanks,
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Unfortunately filing for disability is a very peculiar issue and some psychiatrists can make it very easy for you and some are very difficult with it. Your new psychiatrist may want to speak to your old psychiatrist in Florida before filling out the paperwork or may just say that he/she does not like filling those forms out and will recommend you to another psychiatrist. A psychiatrist or medical doctor is not required by law to fill out that paperwork unfortunately

Dr. Z :

But this psychiatrist may do a quick interview with you, check out your clinical history and be okay with filling ou the Mental Capacity Report with no problems.

Dr. Z :

Like I said some medical doctors can make it very easy and others can make it very difficult for a variety of obscure and subjective reasons

Customer:

Allsup only gave me 3 weeks to get this form filled out. If I don't they won't take my case

Dr. Z :

I am sorry that is very disappointing if they do not take your case. You may want to call ahead and ask if the psychiatrist has filled out these types of forms beforehand to get an idea of his position on this, but like I said a psychiatrist or medical doctor is not required by law to fill out these types of forms for you

Dr. Z :

Some are very against disability and the paperwork, so they refuse to fill out the forms for some reason

Customer:

That is a good idea. I will call them...Thank you....

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

Only psychiatrists can fill this paperwork out?

Dr. Z :

No, a licensed psychologist can too. Usually they have to be a doctor, although a few states allow a Master's Level therapist to as well, but those are usually more scrutinized

Customer:

I know this process won't be easy. But, I am 53 years old and my condition is worsening and my medications aren't working anymore....

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry, I understand. I see no reason why your psychiatrist would not fill out the paperwork and if you give a list of your medications and the number for your past psychiatrist to confirm your story then you should be fine. I just wanted to mention to you that some psychiatrist and doctors refuse for a variety of arbitrary reasons.

Customer:

What type of reasons?

Dr. Z :

Like I said, they medical doctors may not like filling out the paperwork for the government so they refuse to do so and refer the patient to someone else who is willing

Dr. Z :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Dr. Z :

I do want to say that the psychiatrists that usually take medicaid and medicare are usually more apt to sign those types of forms as well

Customer:

That's good to know.....I will check that out......Thank you very much

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I wish you the best of luck and I hope your new psychiatrist fills out those forms for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Okay I will. Thanks again.......

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome :)

Dr. Z :

Oh and also when you finish rating me, this chat will be sent as a link to your email, if it has not already, so you can always use it for future reference. In addition, this chat will be saved in your JA account under My Questions so you can always go back to it when you need to

Customer:

Okay. That's good to know.....

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.