Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Hi I take 20mg of Lexapro a day for ocd and would like to start

Hi I take 20mg of Lexapro a day for ocd and would like to start taking garcinia Cambodia extract for weight loss is it safeto take them together since they both effect the serotonin levels

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

You are right that the Garcinia can increase Serotonin levels much like the Lexapro and this can cause a syndrome called Serotonin Syndrome, which is very serious.

Dr. Z :

Most likely the increase from the Garcinia would not cause a significant increase in Serotonin levels in conjunction with the Lexapro, but I would still not recommend using this with the Lexapro before speaking with your doctor.

Dr. Z :

If you are looking to lose weight and still continue using an antidepressant, I would recommend the use of Wellbutrin, which is an effective antidepressant, although may not be as effective as the Lexapro, but it actually promotes weight loss

Customer: I was considering going off the lexpro since Iam have been doing so well and have put on a lot of weight since my OCD is a mild case. To see how I do I have been on it for like 10 years
Dr. Z :

Well you can definitely go off the Lexapro if that is what you want to see if you no longer need it. Many individuals find that their therapeutic techniques are enough to keep them stable after using an antidepressant for so long

Customer:

I know they say that tapering is the best way to go off

Dr. Z :

Oh most definitely. You have taken it for so long that your body will react negatively if you abruptly stop taking the Lexapro. Tapering it off slowly and gradually is the best way to avoid any withdrawal effects. You should talk to your prescribing physician that you want to discontinue the Lexapro, so that he/she knows this and can give you a good tapering down schedule

Customer:

Inhave done so research on line and some people have some nasty withdrawL its a little disconcerting

Dr. Z :

It is disconcerning to some, but if you taper slowly your withdrawal effects will be minimal. Also you can taper and then switch over to Prozac, which has a longer half-life and is easier to discontinue then the Lexapro. Many psychiatrist and doctors do this for their patients.

Customer:

Ok thank you for your help

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

No than you