Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

does hypnosis work?If notWhat do you OKMH1018217

does hypnosis work? If not What do you recommend?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Mark :

Hi. I just asked you questions to clarify this new posting in your other thread where you asked this. Should we continue here or there? Which would you prefer? I think here is good.

Dr. Mark :

Hi, the system says you're still offline, but I'll keep trying to keep the chat open to see if you come online, okay?

Customer : Im online.
Customer : I am having problems with my cell but im here
Dr. Mark :

I'm answering the question in your other thread where you answered my questions. Shall I continue and finish my answer there?

Dr. Mark :

The system says you're offline again. So I finished my answer over there and I'll paste it in here as well, okay? If you could give a rating here as well, I'd be very grateful. All the best, XXXXX

Dr. Mark :

Here is what I answered:

Dr. Mark :

I see. This is really very sad. I can only imagine how much your heart aches: just to read you say that you get along but it's not like it was when he was a social football player is very, very sad. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's very hard, I know.

I'm not very confident that hypnotherapy will help in this situation. But there is a chance, so it's worth finding out if maybe it will help. The situation is that difficult and you are going to be trying residential treatment soon. So, yes, it is worth the try.

But please note I am talking about only hypnotherapy, which is a recognized form of psychotherapy used by psychologists and psychotherapists. So I'm not talking about people who put in ads in newspapers for hypnosis. Maybe those are useful or maybe not, I can't say. But a psychologist trained in hypnotherapy is a real licensed therapist. Even so, here's the important statement about hypnotherapy: hypnotherapy can help with a specific problem and that's why I'm thinking of it. HOWEVER, there are good and honest hypnotherapists and there are other types. Your only way of assessing is two ways: first, make sure he or she is a licensed psychologist. Don't let anyone tell you they are a licensed hypnotherapist. There is no licensure in most states that I know of. It's all a "self-licensing" which is not good enough. So you want to know his or her license number as a psychologist and call the state licensing board to make sure there have been no complaints filed. Please do not skip this step.

I think if you follow the guidelines I've recommended above, then it is indeed worth trying. But also keep seeing if he will be willing to join a teen support group, okay?

I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice