Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

hi i have been on venlafaxine 150mg for approx 10mnths, worked

hi
i have been on venlafaxine 150mg for approx 10mnths, worked amazingly , but has seemed to worn off effectivness.went to doc who upped my dosage.
how quick should i see if this works or not?

thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your Venlafaxine stopped working for you after 10 months. You stated that your medical doctor increased your dosage, what is the increased dosage currently?

Dr. Z :

So because you used 150mg of the Venlafaxine for 10 months, I would assume that you should start to notice the effectiveness of the increased dosage in around 2-3 weeks and then at around 5-8 weeks, you should get the maximum effectiveness of the increased dosage. But this really depends on what your increased dosage is currently at and how your body metabolizes the medication.

Customer: Thank you for reply. I was increased an additional 37.5mg per day, and adviced to go to 225 if felt not improving. I went to 225 after 2 days as I thought 37.5mg would not be a sufficient increase(im 16st male).would you suggest going back to only 37.5mg? Do you believe it would be enough for improvement?
Dr. Z :

I was thinking your increased dosage would be at 225mg since 75mg is a usual increase that I have seen. Typically you want to find the lowest effective dosage for your symptoms because obviously at a higher dosage you are more at risk for side effects. If you are feeling no side effects that are troublesome and if the 225mg is working for you, then I think you can stay at the 225mg dosage.

Customer: From your experience do patience improve again after dosage increase? As venlafaxine has changed my life for better after years of anxiety
Dr. Z :

Yes in my experience the 225mg dosage is very effective and usually it will help you considerably, but the medication only lessens the symptoms and does not cure you completely. Only therapy can cure you, so you should see a therapist regularly while taking the medication to get the maximum benefits.

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.