Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Is a spanking given by a therapist to his adult patient (strictly

Is a spanking given by a therapist to his adult patient (strictly consensual) considered
to be a legitimate form of therapy, if it is strictly non-sexual?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

No this would be considered abnormal, and not a very therapeutic model for treatment. It is possible that this can be considered unethical treatment too, but it would depend on the state and what licensing organization she is affiliated with.

Dr. Z :

I have heard about these types of therapy sessions and they are usually aimed at patients who are curious or fascinated with BDSM, a form of dominance and submission. While these spanking sessions may not be sexual overtly, they may have a sexual undertone for the patient.

Dr. Z :

But if these are consenting adults, I see no harm in this type of therapy to the patient as they expected this coming into the sessin

Dr. Z :

*session

Customer:

I am not into BDSM but I am willing to consent to a spanking if it would result

Customer:

in positive behavior modification. Regarding the ethics involved, there would be consent on

Customer:

my part, as well as a willingness to try something a little out of the ordinary

Customer:

if it would bring about an improvement in both my driving and spending habits.

Dr. Z :

Well the ethics are iffy because it depends on this therapist's credentials. For instance a psychologist cannot ethically do this because it violates APA ethical conduct. But a Master's level therapist may be able to provide this without violating ethics as they are not bound by the APA.

Dr. Z :

If you think this may improve your behavior and want to try it, then I see no reason why you should not try it

Customer:

I would not want to jeopardize anyone's license and discretion would

Customer:

be both expected by me and also promised by me in return. I feel that a spanking

Customer:

might indeed lead to improved behavior--my question to you is wheter

Dr. Z :

Well if the therapist is offering this, then she knows her ethical duties and is most likely aware that she is not violating her ethics or putting her license in jeopardy

Customer:

you think this a possibility or just wishful thinking?

Customer:

One final question--this lady is not a psychologist but a psychotherapist

Dr. Z :

I have heard of therapists that provide this service to patients, but as to its effectiveness I cannot attest to that as I do not practice this nor do I personally know of any research studies that have studied this

Dr. Z :

Then most likely she has a Master's degree in Psychology, Marriage and Family therapy, or Social Worker

Customer:

and supposedly is not violating any state laws or ethics. I appreciate your

Customer:

opinion and, if you feel it is worth a shot, I'll give it a try. After all,

Dr. Z :

I think because you are interested in it, then give it a try and see if it will help improve your behavior. I see no harm in this at all for you

Customer:

nothing ventured, nothing gained (LOL) and at worst, I'll be left with a sore bottom.

Customer:

She has a master's egree in psychology.

Dr. Z :

Then she is not bound by APA ethics, and may only be bound with state laws which can allow for this in most states, so there is not ethical issues at all for her

Customer:

You are a true gentleman. I appreciate the fact that you did not ridicule me but

Customer:

answered me in a considerate professional manner. I feel that I got my

Customer:

money's worth and will recommend the service to others.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help and I hope this treatment works well for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.