TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have suffered with bad sleep insomnia forOKMH1014217

I have suffered with bad sleep insomnia for 4 monthes. I have tried all the prescriptions the market. What should I do. p,s. I am a very anziety

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Anxiety can often cause difficulty sleeping. You are used to feeling intense, strong emotions all day that keep you feeling on edge and upset. Calming yourself down can become hard to do as a result. But there are ways to help yourself relax before going to bed. Here are some ways to help yourself:

Keep your bedroom cool and quiet- Cooler rooms help you sleep. Also, use a sound machine if you live in a noisy area. Block out any light in your room. The more calm your room, the easier it is to sleep.

Stick to a schedule- go to bed everyday around the same time. Use a sleep routine to help you calm yourself psychologically and physically. Take a bath, drink warm milk and shut off any electronics about an hour before going to sleep.

If you find yourself worrying while trying to sleep, keep a small notebook nearby and write down your concerns. Then practice letting them go until the next day. There is nothing you can do before then anyway.

Practice progressive relaxation techniques. Here is a great site to help you learn how:

And most of all, work on your anxiety. You can do this through therapy and self help. Here are some resources to help you:

On line links:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

I hope this has helped you,