Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Hello my started about six weeks ago . He is 82 he always

Hello my started about six weeks ago . He is 82 he always been a beer drinker he now only has one to two a day now. I noticed his short term memory is not as grand its minor but i don't want it to get worse . I take 25mg pregegolone daily at night time will this be ok for him to take with coumadin. I know he can't take gingko and there r so many drugs interact with coumadin. My dad does suduko puzzles and reads alot as well

Dr. Z :

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Give me a couple minutes to read over your question, so that I can assist you better

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your father has been having these symptoms of short term memory loss

Dr. Z :

May I ask, can you describe the short term memory loss for me?

Customer: The other day he fixed a statue that broke for me he called me to say he fixed it he gave the phone to my mom and after twenty minutes in the background he asked my mom if he told me he fixed my statue i told my mother he the one that callede to tell me that
Dr. Z :

So there are no definite interactions with Pregnenolone and Coumadin (Warfarin), but most labels will say to discuss with his physician before giving him the Pregnenolone because of possible interaction effects. Most supplements have never been fully studied for interaction effects and this is why there is a gray area in this regards XXXXX XXXXX Pregnenolone

Dr. Z :

So I would not give him the Pregnenolone until you speak with his physician.

Customer: Do u recommend any other drugs for these small bouts i am sure the beers don't help
Dr. Z :

At his age, some memory deficits are natural and will occur. You may want to ask his physician about adding Omega-3 supplements as this can improve cognitive function, but may increase the risk of bleeding when combined with Coumadin

Dr. Z :

The beers definitely do not help, but they do not have an enormous impact as long as he is still eating a healthy diet he will be fine. If he is just relying on beers for nutrition, then that would be a problem, but that is not the case here.

Dr. Z :

The Sudoku puzzles, frequent walks, staying active (e.g. gardening, reading, etc...) are all really good to prevent memory decline as we age.

Dr. Z :

So far to date we have no sure fire medications to prevent memory or cognitive decline yet

Customer: He actually does garden and walk he had triple bypass in march and i think the anesthesia and long icu may have effect him
Dr. Z :

The anesthesia does have an effect on cognition, unfortunately it is usually not reversible and this will be his baseline. But the sudoku puzzles and exercise that he does is great and will help prevent and future decline. The Pregnenolone most likely will not help him unfortunately, but it was a good idea.

Customer: Thank you
Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I wish your father all the best and I hope his memory issues do not continue. Also the use of lists that he can write out in a small notebook and check-off can help prevent memory decline as well. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.