Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Okay So I Have a Problem, To Me Its Pretty Major. For At least

Okay So I Have a Problem, To Me It's Pretty Major. For At least A Year Or More Now, I've Been Constantly (Everyday) Worrying About Life. I Worry About Work (If They'll Fire Me, Or Don't Need Me Anymore, Or Am I Doing Enough) Finances ( Do I Have Enough For This Month, Should I Spend It On That Item etc) The Need To Keep Busy ( I Must Do This Or I Need To Do That ) I Always Repeat Everything Until I Feel Its Right In My Head, If Its Not Then That Causes Me To Get Down And Low. I Feel The Need To Perfect Most Things. Thinking To Myself I Should Go Out More etc. I've had enough of it now and feeling very low about it to the point it affects me in daily life. Please could you help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Customer:

Okay Please Do.

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you have been having these feelings of worry, I can understand how this would greatly distress you.

Dr. Z :

May I ask, you said that these worries have lasted for a little over a year, did anything in your life precipitate these worries?

Customer:

I can't recall anything within the last year that would have triggered such thoughts. It seemed to have just suddenly appeared. I don't want to think it's depression because i've never that that before and would hate to have it now. Im only 22 years of age.

Dr. Z :

Yes I do not believe that you have a depressive disorder. I believe you have a subtype of an anxiety disorder called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Here is a link that explain it in more detail for you

Dr. Z :

The best type of treatment for this is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Dr. Z :

Also the use of SSRI antidepressants like Paroxetine, Sertraline, etc...can also help lessen these symptoms as well

Dr. Z :

Here are also some good books that contain CBT techniques to help lessen your symptoms

Dr. Z :

In addition, Clomipramine has been used to treat OCD symptoms as well, but I would reserve this after trying the SSRI antidepressants (which are also used to treat OCD and other anxiety disorders) because SSRI medications have less side effects.

Customer:

Okay great. Can i ask?

Dr. Z :

Sure you can ask me anything

Customer:

Sorry, i'm just trying to put it into words on what my thoughts are but can't seem to do it.

Dr. Z :

Its okay I understand, take your time. I am not going anywhere

Customer:

Would i have some form of GAD? Generalized anxiety?

Customer:

For me everyday i worry about 20 different things at once.

Dr. Z :

It is possible, but I feel like from what you wrote that you have repeated obsessional thoughts that are intrusive for you and this is why I think this is different GAD. Also you display repeated behaviors to get everything "perfect" as well. Either way though they are both treated very effectively with a high success rate with CBT and a SSRI medication, which ever one your medical doctor chooses for you.

Dr. Z :

GAD is usually not as obsessional, nor are repeated "perfectionistic" behaviors observed.

Dr. Z :

Both are serious anxiety disorders though and this is why their symptoms overlap

Customer:

Okay thanks. I always feel the need i must be busy or productive everyday at home otherwise i feel that i've just wasted the day, this one for me is the biggest of worries. would that be with OCD?

Dr. Z :

Typically the feeling you must always get something done can be considered intrusive and compulsive thoughts/behavior, which can be related to OCD. The good news is that there is a high success rate with CBT and the use of medications. You can use the books and also see a CBT therapist in your area if you choose.

Dr. Z :

And also when you do not keep busy or be productive, this can cause increased anxiety because you are not "obeying" the compulsion to do something and be productive. This is common with OCD.

Customer:

Exactly my thoughts. So if i don't do what my thoughts are thinking. that can trigger me to feel low and useless? :(

Dr. Z :

I know and this is unfortunate and common with OCD. But the CBT can gradually change this thought pattern with therapy and those books I recommended for you, so that these thoughts will no longer control you and you will start to control them.

Customer:

Okay that's great.

Dr. Z :

Good, this treatment plan will definitely be effective for you. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

Thanks. Would you say I have a clear form of OCD?

Dr. Z :

It definitely appears that way from the symptoms you described, but of course the only sureXXXXXof knowing is getting an in person evaluation with a trained psychologist or psychiatrist in your area.

Customer:

Thanks alot! much appreciated.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I wish you all the best with your treatment. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Dr. Z :

Oh and also when you finish rating me, this chat will be sent as a link to your email, if it has not already, so you can always use it for future reference. In addition, this chat will be saved in your JA account under My Questions so you can always go back to it when you need to

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.