Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

22 year old women, parents have run out ability to handle her

22 year old women, parents have run out ability to handle her current crying, shouting, anger, and refusing professional help. She has displayed signs of mental issues since child hood parents took her to their HMO for therapy.

She choose to have child who is now 10 months old, she seems to have no desire to parent this child,wants the childs father back in her life who wants nothing to do with her, due to her behavier. her parents think she is self medicating with prescription and illegal drugs.
she is picking at her skin, has open sores on her face,legs and arms.Gets only twinkies(sweets).Because she is 22 years old, her parents have been told their is nothing they can do to help her and they will be asking her to leave their home soon, This girl is my grand daughter and I can't believe there is nothing that any of us can do. HELP!

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your grand-daughter has been experiencing these symptoms, I can imagine how distressing this must be for you and the rest of your family

Customer:

what do you recommend her parents do at this point

Dr. Z :

May I ask for how long has she exhibited this behavior?

Customer:

two years,on and off

Dr. Z :

And what state does she live in, I am assuming a Western state because of Kaiser though

Customer:

yes,CA,

Dr. Z :

Okay, I live in California too, so I know the Mental Health laws very well here. Can she take care of herself (e.g. provide shelter, food, hygiene, etc...)?

Dr. Z :

I imagine I know the answer, but I need to hear it because you have more personal knowledge of your grand-daughter

Customer:

no she can barely fuction at this time, she keeps garbage in her room,in her car, has angry outbursts any where anytime she is self destructive

Dr. Z :

Okay this is called Gravely Disabled or Self-harm because she has open sores from picking and she can be admitted to a psychiatric hospital or a psychiatric ward involuntarily under the 5150 mental health code. If her condition continues or worsens then this can be extended to a 5250 by a civil court judge for 30 days. During this time long term treatment at an inpatient psychiatric hospital can be discussed because I agree her condition is the result of a serious mental health disorder and not just substance abuse.

Dr. Z :

The substance abuse may be a result of self-medicating to help the symptoms. I suspect that she either has a Psychotic Disorder, a Mood Disorder with Psychosis, or a severe Personality Disorder (e.g. Schizotypal) causing these symptoms.

Customer:

thank you,I'll pass on your recommendation to two very over welled parents anf our entire family.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I wish your family and your grand-daughter all the best and I hope she responds well to treatment. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.