Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Lately I have been having "gay" thoughts. I know Im straight.

Lately I have been having "gay" thoughts. I know I'm straight. I always have been. I need to know how to stop this thinking and move on with life. help please.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this frustrating situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please tell me if you suffer in anxiety or depression?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for joining the chat

Customer:

I have suffered from slight depression in the past. It was about 3 years ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Have you recently experienced any increased stress from any life situation, change or challenge, or felt impacted by any news about other people or anything that you could remember?

Customer:

Just the stress and challenge of trying to find a full time job

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, then that could have been what has triggered this problem

Customer:

this problem has caused me anxiety, so until I find a job, it will continue?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What you describe is not an uncommon problem, if you happen not to have any concern or issue around your sexual preferences but find yourself experiencing these ideations, what it could show is that you have developed an anxiety disorder

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You see, that's what I mean. anxiety uses to be the core issue here, in this case arising through an obsessive thought-ideation

Customer:

what do you suggest I do about it. I need it to stop

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Just trying to deny, avoid or repress it would not help, but would actually worsen the anxiety and fuel the obsessive ideation. For you to already feel this way it means you have developed this anxiety disorder and if you truly want to rehabilitate from it, you need to look for professional psychotherapeutic support, otherwise it could get worse.

Customer:

So there is no medication for anxiety? I would need to go see a psychiatrist?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You have already suffered of depression, which makes you more vulnerable to develop anxiety and other mental health disorders, and this one uses to be a tough one for most people, this is why I would never suggest anybody in your shoes to delay getting professional psychological treatment as soon as possible , otherwise it would deteriorate your mood, mental health relationships and functioning much more.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

There are different psychiatric drugs to control anxiety symptoms, but there is no drug that could rehabilitate a person from anxiety, even less from an obsessive - compulsive disorder. Medication could help numbing some symptoms but you could only rehabilitate from the disorder with adequate treatment, which should be psychological

Customer:

wow. that is a lot to take in. i never thought it would have amounted to this.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Your situation is more complex, since medication for anxiety could also trigger your depressive disorder, this is why is is very important to address it with adequate professional support

Customer:

Alright well I guess going to see someone is my only option.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I invite you to be very honest and truthful wit yourself, and observe and acknowledge how you really feel and how your anxiety evolves, and how it affects your mood, relationships and functioning. You would see it gets worse if untreated. I do hope that not to happen, but it is my job to alert you about it.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please do so, look for a professional psychotherapist with expertise in anxiety, depression and mood disorders.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

He/she would assess you and develop a plan to work on your rehabilitation process.

Customer:

Alright and if I decided to wait to see how it progresses, is there a chance it could get better?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Be totally honest and direct for you to get the best possible support and if you see the profesisonal is not competent enough then please take the time and look for a better one.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If you happen to handle and cope with anxiety and the stressors you have been facing in assertive ways, with adequate help from your support system and engaging in healthy activities, releasing your negative feelings and concerns, empowering yourself and enjoying your life, then you could make it work. But please, if you do try this and see that it's not working, do not delay treatment even more.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do not repress what you feel, vent, verbalize, get time to relax, to enjoy your life, especially when facing challenges and problems.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Be very proactive, consistent taking actions to build and promote what is healthy and helpful, leaving behind negative tendencies-behaviors.

Customer:

Ok. I think I have enough information to try and figure this out. You will get a good rating from me and if necessary and if possible, I will refer back to you if I need anymore advice

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please do so, since I am here to support you as possible. Thank you for your trust.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please take gentle care and consistent action.

Customer:

Thank you

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thanks.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Bye for now