Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I have been with a clinical psychologist for 3 years. She has

I have been with a clinical psychologist for 3 years. She has been working with my gp. Her daughter had a terrible accident, and shes not seeing patients. My gp just left his practice, I have no doctor. How do I get my psych meds now?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I may be able to help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

There are multiple ways to continue to get your medications. You can try going to the ER or Urgent care to get an emergency supply until you find a new GP

Dr. Z :

Also pharmacies understand some issues regarding GP's that leave their practice and will extend your refills until you find another GP

Customer:

Will a gp fill psych meds...I knew my other doc for 10 years, he trusted me.

Dr. Z :

It depends, what psychiatric medications are you taking?

Customer:

Zoloft 200mg ativan 2mg 4 times a day...I have ptsd panic disorder ocd bipolar 2

Dr. Z :

Okay with those medications, a GP will definitely be able to prescribe them for you, but the GP may also refer you to a psychiatrist, so they may only prescribe a limited supply until you see the referral for a psychiatrist. Also you can try using this online resource that can provide E-Prescriptions. I have never used it, but it was referred to me by a colleague.

Customer:

Im having pc problems cant see the box your typing in

Dr. Z :

What was the last thing you saw?

Dr. Z :

I can re-type it for you

Customer:

I take zoloft 200mg and ativan 2mg 4times a day for ptsd panic disorder ocd and bipolar2

Dr. Z :

Dr. Z :

Did you see what I wrote above?

Customer:

I can get my meds on line????

Dr. Z :

Well there are reputable online pharmacies where you can get your medications with a valid prescription. Also this website allows you to consult with a medical doctor online and they may provide you with a prescription as well.

Customer:

Ok, I just need to know that legally someone has to treat me, right? I cant be turned away?

Dr. Z :

Yes someone will have to treat your appropriately. Usually if you go to a GP, they will prescribe you the medications if you have been prescribed them recently in the past

Dr. Z :

Also here are a couple links about finding reputable online pharmacies if that is the route you tak

Dr. Z :

*take

Customer:

So the new doc in the office will prescribe them? Sorry Im in full blown pac mode

Customer:

panic

Dr. Z :

They should definitely be able to prescribe them. Most GP's usually stay away from complicated psychotic disorders with prescriptions and leave that to psychiatrists, but your medications are pretty standard. Just bring in your past prescription bottles to show that you were prescribed these medications to further demonstrate your need for them

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I wish you the best of luck with your medications and I hope that you get them swiftly. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Dr. Z :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.