Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Im consumed by feelings of worthlessness, insignificance,

I'm consumed by feelings of worthlessness, insignificance, being misunderstood and misinterpreted. What's wrong with me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello, I believe I can help you with your concern

Customer: Ok
Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you have been exhibiting these symptoms, I can imagine how this must distress you greatly

Customer: It does
Dr. Z :

I would like to ask a few questions to get some more information, so that I can better help you

Customer: Ok
Dr. Z :

May I ask, for how long have you experienced these symptoms?

Customer: Btw, I take Lexapro 20 mg but missed two days
Customer: Last day or two but not the first time.
Customer: I just had a complete meltdown. Threw things, slapped my husband across the face,
Customer: I was really upset and he called me a psycho. I couldn't take it.
Customer: I get so upset it just escalates and I can't get my feelings out. I feel like I'm going to explode.
Dr. Z :

Okay, I understand your feeling of being upset at being called a "psycho" that was not right for him to say that. Why were you prescribed the Lexapro? For depression?

Customer: Yes
Customer: I was out of my refill and went two days without it. I'm back on.
Customer: I had a hard day and I'm trying to fight feelings of insignificance. I feel so misjudged. I feel like no one gets me, or listens to me. I feel dismissed in this world.
Dr. Z :

Well two days without it could cause withdrawal symptoms of irritability and worsening depression, but now that you are back on it you should be fine, so that is one possibility

Customer: Ok.
Dr. Z :

I am sorry that you are feeling this way, may I ask are you currently in therapy at all for your depression?

Customer: My children witnessed it all and now I feel like dying. I didn't want them to see this. What's wrong with me?
Customer: No. I've been really happy lately.
Customer: Things just build and today was bad.
Customer: Different scenarios where people acted like I didn't matter or measure up
Customer: I hate feeling like nothung
Dr. Z :

I do not think anything is "wrong with you" but I think you have a serious depressive disorder. Now while the medication is effective in lessening your symptoms, I believe that therapy is your only want to cure this for a sustained period of time.

Dr. Z :

I would like to teach you some techniques that may be able to help you and help you feel better if you like

Customer: But why do I explode and rage? My dad did while I was a child
Customer: I can't take being treated like less than human
Customer: I'm so done with feeling worthless. I try so hard. Nobody gets me.
Dr. Z :

Well I can teach you some techniques with that too. Irritability and anger are a symptom of depression because you are stressed. Now I think you have a right to express your anger, but I will provide you with a good technique to do so assertively

Dr. Z :

I understand that, and you do not deserve to be treated this way

Customer: I'm in so much pain
Customer: I feel like I don't matter. But then when I explode I feel like it's all my fault and I'm not worthy of help.
Dr. Z :

I want to show you some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques to help you. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Dr. Z :

You are very worthy of help and this is not your fault, we just need to find the right treatment for you and I think this will help

Customer: I scarred my kids like I was scarred and now I can't undo it. I'm a horrible mother.
Dr. Z :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Customer: Ok
Customer: I'm not sure I deserve help though
Dr. Z :

You cannot change the past that is true, but you can repair the damage

Dr. Z :

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping lessen depressive symptoms. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

Dr. Z :

Also individuals with severe depression have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help you develop a better coping strategy to manage your symptoms better.

Customer: Ok. But it could be missing the meds too?
Customer: I will do them.
Dr. Z :

Also this technique is very good at helping express your anger in an assertive way

Dr. Z :

Yes it can definitely be the withdrawal from the medications too, that is very possible

Customer: Thank u I will try those suggestions. I'm so ashamed of myself.
Dr. Z :

This is also a good worksheet that can help you replace any negative self-critical thoughts you may have with positive self-beliefs

Customer: Ok
Dr. Z :

I also want to recommend two really good treatment books too, so give me one minute

Customer: Ok
Customer: Thank u very much
Dr. Z :

I wanted to give you plenty of resources to use because this is treatable and you can fix this so that it does not happen again

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer: Ok, I will work so hard.
Customer: I think these will help.
Dr. Z :

I know you will, you are very good person, but I do think the withdrawal from the medications may have been overwhelming for you and that is why it caused this

Dr. Z :

The CBT techniques will help you for sustained period of time.

Customer: Ok, thank you very much. God bless you.
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.