Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My 21 yesr old son was taken to the rr after I called 911 because

My 21 yesr old son was taken to the rr after I called 911 because he was banging jis head on the wall and had cut his arm. At the hospital the nurse proceeded to tell my son to quit crying man up and quit being a pussy. My son is 21 years old bi-sexual and has been depressed for years. Then the nurse asked him if he would like a family membrr to come sit with him he told her yes she replied" too f**king" bad". Where is that is the protocol to treat someone who is showing sign of 52/50 with suicidal tendancies. I have dealt with This on and off most of his life. I am appolled at the way he was treated. So when he comes home from where I entrusted them to help him and he does kill himself whose hands will his blood be on?

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your son is going through this and was treated this way, it is very appalling

Dr. Z :

Does your son see an individual therapist at all?

Customer:

no he just got cmsp he has a hard time connecting with people. because he is so sensitive people including myself i hate to admit the crying all the time gets very frustrating. escpecially when my problem r so much bigger but to him im sure are over whelming.

Dr. Z :

I think so too by how you are describing his symptoms, I think seeing a therapist that specializes in Bisexual issues as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) would be best for him.

Dr. Z :

Also it appears that the medication you described in the past are interesting because he has not been given an antidepressant

Dr. Z :

He may benefit from a SSRI or SNRI antidepressant too

Customer:

i dont know wat to do with him he stays up late sleeps all day. He just also got outlationship. No anti depressants and wat is cognant behavior therapy

Dr. Z :

CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen. It is very effective in treating depression like what he has. I can recommend books and show you some techniques that he can do to help himself.

Dr. Z :

You can try to push into family therapy with you there as a support, he may be more responsive to that

Customer:

we are on a no income budget after utilities and food and he hasnt been able to pull himself together since his dig died and hes only 2 weeks clean off of the herion so unless his cmsp and my medicare pay for counseling wr stay broken

Dr. Z :

I understand, I am so sorry. Well I can provide you with some techniques that he may be able to do by himself then to help relieve his symptoms.

Dr. Z :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help him keep track of any negative thoughts he has. He puts the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want him to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help him change his way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Dr. Z :

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping lessen depressive symptoms. It can help him focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

Dr. Z :

Also individuals with severe depression have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help him develop a better coping strategy to manage your symptoms better.

Customer:

books technics would be great worry about him and im fighting my own demons right now too

Dr. Z :

Also this technique is good at replacing negative self-critical thoughts, with more positive self-beliefs

Dr. Z :

And these books are great as well

Customer:

do i just tap on them or write them down?

Dr. Z :

You can right click on them and then select open in new tab. But these links will be saved in this chat forever so you can always go back to them too later if you like.

Customer:

thank you when he hurts i hurt. ive alwsys been a single mom and him and his brother are 8 years apart. his brother hss a jard time with him being bi sexual but being so far apart it was like i raised two separate families

Customer:

sorry about the spelling im on my mobile and sometimes its hsrd for me to see the lettets

Dr. Z :

I am sorry that you are effected so greatly by this too, I can imagine it is very hard to see your son hurt like this.

Dr. Z :

Its okay, no worries

Customer:

i have many issues of my own im dealing woth right now also im an agoraphic so out reach programs are not an option st this time. i can only leave the houde for an hour and a half at a time. but ive made progress because i was stuck in my room for a year in a half

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry, you are definitely going through your own psychological issues right now and that definitely makes it harder for you for what your son is going through and trying to be there for him

Customer:

so wat ever hes going through the depression i think comes from losing my parents. it will be 2 years in dev. they held our little family together and since they hsve passed his brothets girlfriend doesnt let jim be apart of our lives.

Dr. Z :

It is possible, the CBT therapy will help him focus more on the present and his issues right now to help relieve them.

Customer:

it is hard i can hardly be there for myself right now.Barely hanging on. i asked hisebrother for alittle break and he took him for an hour he was supposed to take him for a few days. i took csre of my dad fot 3 years ehile he eas dyiing of lyng cancer thrn right after ee lost him i took csre of my mom she got face cancer. im an only child i kept them both at home then two days after my mom passed my husband of 13 years up and left me so i havent had s break yet

Customer:

wow my spelling is bad lol

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry, that is very hard on you indeed. I hope the CBT techniques will help your son, so that he can get back on his feet again and give you a break. Also the CBT techniques and books may be helpful for you too if you want to try them as well.

Customer:

thank you for your help i hope least point him in the right direction because the only other alternative i have is tough love where i dont condone his behavior in my house and how is that going to help

Dr. Z :

The tough love approach probably wont help and may just drive him deeper into a depression unfortunately, but you do have to make compromises with him here and there to help him. Like he has to do these therapy techniques if he wants to still live in the house, etc...

Customer:

i just want him to be part of lifes solution not theproblem his iq is off the chart he could do anything he set his mind tobut his thought process ssinglately has been like a childs.i dont know if its coming off the herion or wat but hes regre

Dr. Z :

The heroin can definitely cause this and so can the depression unfortunately. Sometimes a low dose and a temporary use of a stimulant may knock him out of this depression quickly to help him be more motivated for self-help therapy

Dr. Z :

Stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin are used as off-label antidepressants frequently

Customer:

thank you so much lots of good info