Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

25 year old son is lying and stealing. He was dx with Aspergers

25 year old son is lying and stealing. He was dx with Asperger's syndrome at six years old. Now is fitting the Antisocial Personality spectrum of signs and symptoms. What is, if any, appropriate therapy? ( before he ends up in huge trouble) Steals only from family members, just answered to a DUI charge, lost his job, lies every time he's confronted with anything. Opportunity is present for him to work toward anything he'd like to but is limiting his opportunities. Especially with a criminal record for DUI.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your adult son is exhibiting these symptoms, i can imagine how that must distress you.

Dr. Z :

May I ask what type of therapy has he tried before in the past?

Customer: I'm lost with how to help him.
Dr. Z :

I am so sorry, APD is a very difficult disorder to treat

Customer: Therapy in the past was with a psychologist for 2 years. Because he's an adult, I only know what're has told me. Whether it be truthful or not, I have no idea.
Dr. Z :

Also is he aggressive at all? Violent?

Customer: Not aggressive or violent. Actually would be described as passive.
Dr. Z :

Well the best type of treatment for APD is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Dr. Z :

Also some medications of antidepressants and mood stabilizers may help his behavior, but truthfully only therapy can really make a sustained changer for him.

Customer: I just finished reading a book about CBT. Is there a reputable or should I say, highly recommended in-patient program that offers therapy? Cost is not an object. I'm afraid he'll end up incarcerated, or worse. It's all very out of control now.
Dr. Z :

Well there are a few places in the country I could recommend, but I think because he is not violent, a trained CBT therapist would do the job for him. I can recommend someone in your area if you like

Customer: He's not violent toward family. I'm not sure about relationships. I do have suspicion ( because of rumours). I'm in eastern Canada. Will you let me know the names of any in patient places you could recommend? Also, highly recommended therapists. I'm willing to travel with him if I can find help.
Dr. Z :

Well what is the zip code near him, so that I can look for qualified therapists in the area?

Customer: Postal code is E2E5K3. New Brunswick Canada. I'm only 7 hours from Boston though and like I mentioned, I'm desperate for the best that you're aware of.
Dr. Z :

Okay give me a few minutes to compile a list for you. But because you want the best. The McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts is considered the best inpatient hospital for resistant personality disorder. They have a great track record of providing CBT and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) for treating personality disorder. Not sure about APD because most places that treat those are individual therapists or prison/forensic state hospitals.

Customer: Thank you. He wasn't formally diagnosed with APD. With all of the reading I've been doing, he fits the criteria. A professional May very we'll discover something that I'm not aware of?
Dr. Z :

So here are two psychologists in your area that treat APD

Dr. Z :

It is possible there may be other things going on too. The second link I gave you is an expert in testing and evaluation, so she can run psychological assessments on your son to narrow down the diagnoses as well

Customer: I believe there are other things going on but I don't know what they are? Thank you for this information. Now I have somewhere to start.
Dr. Z :

Another really good hospital that provides treatment and assessment for your son is the Menninger Clinic in Texas

Dr. Z :

I would start with the therapists near him because his behavior is not totally aggressive just yet and there is a possibility that outpatient CBT therapy can help him right now before this gets more serious and severe

Dr. Z :

Also this psychologist specializes in testing and evaluation and personality disorders, but he does not say if he specializes in APD. Still he may be worth a shot too

Customer: Thank you for this information. I will start with therapy in my area while I research the rest of the info you've provided.
Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer: You've been very helpful. I now have a direction to take. Much appreciated.
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.