Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am concerned my fiance is suffering from major depression

I am concerned my fiance is suffering from major depression or something similair & that he has battled this for years without knowing. I feel that he may have used recreational drugs to 'avoid/hide' the symptoms for many years (prior to meeting me). His symptoms include (for the past 3 years at least): total loss of libido, lack of interest in friends & family, I feel like I have to 'push' him to do fun activities (he would rather watch tv ALL day), always feeling tired/run down - even when he hasn't been doing much, over sleeping & also disturbed sleeping (nightmares, talking in his sleep, tossing & turning, waking & not going back to sleep), lying to me to avoid confrontation/consequences, lethargy & not helping around the home, avoiding all responsibilities (bills, fines etc) unless forced to face them, constant moodiness, agitation, anger, agression... I could go on. He also has a history of gambling & also of wanting to spend spend spend (on clothing, gadgets...) when we can't afford it, & he would get very agitated at me for pointing out reality. He also has 'random' moments of hightened mood & energy & unrealistic ideas/plans for the future, he suddenly has high self esteem, almost as if he has taken a drug (but he hasn't), and then he goes back to his 'down' state where he just lacks all self esteem & motivation.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your fiance has been experiencing these symptoms.

Dr. Z :

I would like to ask a couple questions to get some more information, so that I can better help you

Dr. Z :

When your fiance goes through these "random moments of heightened mood and energy" do they appear to last for a couple weeks on average?

Dr. Z :

Does he talk very fast during these moments?

Dr. Z :

And does he appear to require less sleep as well?

Customer:

Customer:

No they don't last that long, normally only a day maybe two (It is not as sever as say what I would expect from bipolar). He just appears overly confident suddenly, becomes obsessed by whatever the thing is (normally some big idea about how he can make money ect with his latest "idea"), he will stay up spending time thinking about it all night, he won't be able to sleep, he suddenyl has all this 'energy' to put into it...then he goes back to his normal state

Dr. Z :

And how long do the depressive episodes last (e.g. weeks or months)?

Customer:

Honestly, I would not describe him anymore as every being 'happy'. He seems to have been in this state for at least three years. If he does appear really 'happy' that only lasts....maybe a day

Customer:

happiness appears forced so it seems he is always in this state of mind in a way...

Dr. Z :

I think you fiance may have a Bipolar Disorder called Bipolar Disorder II. Where he exhibits more symptoms of Depression and has some cycles of something called Hypomania, which usually last for a shorter duration then the mania. Here is a couple links describing it to you

Dr. Z :

I think a majority of the time is suffering from severe depression and the random moments of high energy for a couple days is hypomania.

Dr. Z :

He would need to go on a mood stabilizer to help with his symptoms immediately. The best kind for his symptoms would be Lamcital or Depakote. I would recommend the Lamcital as this is a particularly great mood stabilizer to help individuals with predominant depressive cycles.

Customer:

Interesting...thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I was thinking not bipolar as he didn't appear 'manic' enough, but what you suggest may fit given his episodes....I guess I will just have to encourage him to get some help, & hopefully the therapist will take on board my concerns (as he is not aware of most of his symptoms). Thank you for your advise.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with?

Dr. Z :

Yes hypomania is a lower degree of manic symptoms, so that is why you thought his high energy episodes were of some concern to you, but did not seem as serious enough to be considered mania in your eyes. Bipolar II with predominant depressive symptoms usually respond well to treatment, so your fiance should feel much better after getting prescribed a mood stabilizer

Dr. Z :

Well I want to wish you and your fiance all the best with his treatment, and I hope he gets better swiftly. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

No, thank you very much for your time

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome, I am happy to help :)

Dr. Z :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much