Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Hello again, I ended up taking my medication again. I happen

Customer Question

Hello again,

I ended up taking my medication again. I happen to have become friends with my boss' sister, and ended up confiding my deepest, darkest secrets, probably a huge mistake once again.

I just sent her a message, apologizing for burdening her with my problems. I hope this will not have a negative impact on my work.

I would like to sleep well again.

Thanks for your input.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello there :)

Dr. Z :

I am glad that you started taking your medication again.

Dr. Z :

So may I ask how long have you been friends with your boss' sister for?

Customer:

For the past three months.

Dr. Z :

And do you believe that she is a close friend that will hold your secrets?

Customer:

She is a good person, but she is also very close to her sister, my boss.

Dr. Z :

So what exactly did you tell her if you dont mind me asking

Customer:

That I was hospitalized in NY in a psychiatrict ward. And that the doctor, who was the worst doctor, I ever experienced was twisted himself.

Dr. Z :

And what made you to tell her this?

Customer:

She happens to work in psychiatrict ward as a pharmacologist.

Dr. Z :

Oh that I understand why you told her now.

Customer:

She was asking me advice if she should send a post card to a prison inmate in Texas, who was locked up for drug abuse, and she was asking me if I thought it would be dangerous for her to do so.

Customer:

I told her that I thought it showed a lot of humanity on her part, and that I didn't think it was dangerous. But that then again, this was my opinion, and that I was not always right.

Customer:

I then told her that when I was in the psychiatric ward, the head psychiatrist who used to yell at patients, asked me in an accusing way

Customer:

if I took drugs, and that I said no.

Customer:

He then proceeded to tell me "You know why people take drugs? It's to escape their reality!"

Customer:

This then gave way to other things that I started to describe about him.

Dr. Z :

Okay, have she ever told you secrets or personal information about herself?

Customer:

Some things, but not at this level!

Customer:

She told me about her love life, her own addictions to alcohol and some type of medication, opiates.

Dr. Z :

Well those are pretty personal things that most people would not know about her

Dr. Z :

So that is on a significant level, I think she trusts you with that information

Customer:

Ya, well that's fine. I just want to make sure that I don't mess up my job.

Dr. Z :

I do not think you will. First off I think she will not tell anyone about this and secondly your psychiatric history should not factor into your job performance now and is in no way legal, even in France, to fire you based on medical and mental health history

Customer:

Thank you. I just want to make sure that I am able to operate properly, and sleep is fundamental to my wellbeing.

Customer:

I say this at 3.00am by the way.

Customer:

So how can I get back to sleep.

Dr. Z :

Well those techniques I gave you can help to think objectively and put you at ease. Also this is a link for something called Progressive Muscle Relaxation that can help you create a long term calm by using muscle tension and release techniques; it can help manage your anxiety and depression and is very similar to a style of meditation.

Customer:

Ok. I am too tired to look at it now. But it was helpful to talk to you once more.

Dr. Z :

I know, but I think nothing bad is going to happen to you here.

Dr. Z :

I think you have a friend and you should trust her unless she proves otherwise.

Customer:

Thank you. Thank you.

Dr. Z :

But for right now trust her

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome, and I am happy that you went back on your medication

Dr. Z :

Good night :)

Customer:

Good night :)

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hurt the feelings of my friend, so I discovered today. She was hurt when I told her yesterday that I didn't want her to go on a "rescue mission."

And I feel bad that I did so. I apologized to her today. She wanted to turn her back on me. And pleaded that I didn't want to lose her friendship. She told me that in the last week, she noticed that I was more lively and asked more questions, which I usually don't do in my emails. This indicated to me that she appreciated my questions, and that I was giving her the attention she liked. Usually she is the one who initiates email towards me, and I respond.

She said at one point that our friendship was too good to be true in a regretful way.

I fear that she is going to withdraw from me.

Thank you for your help on how to handle the situation.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I think it is good that you apologized to her and it seems like that she really values your friendship with her, so most likely this will resolve without any major issues. I do not think that she will withdraw from you too much if she whole heartedly accepted your apology.She may be a little angry at first, but I think she will forgive you. You may want to send a funny apology e-card to her to show her that you still care for her and that you value her friendship as well. And then explain that you did not mean to hurt her feelings and that you will not make that mistake again. I think everything will be fine though. Let me know if you need anything else :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome :) I hope you have a pleasant weekend
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, same to you :)

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Thank you :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Things are have worked out with my friend.

Thank you again.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Anytime, I am glad that they worked out with your friend :)