Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am a 58 year old post menopausal woman who has been married

I am a 58 year old post menopausal woman who has been married to for 35 years to my husband. I love him but I do not have any libido. We have sex about once a week but though I am with him I do not enjoy it. What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are currently having a low libido and not enjoying sex with the man you love, I can imagine that must frustrate you

Dr. Z :

I would like to ask a few questions to get some more information, so that I can better help you

Dr. Z :

When you say that you do not enjoy sex, do you mean it hurts physically or that menatlly/emotionally you are not into it?

Customer:

Both

Dr. Z :

Okay, so yes after a women goes through menopause they can have the vaginal dryness and also a decrease in libido. For the vaginal dryness it appears you have that covered with your OB/GYN as there are creams/lubricants that can help with that. To increase your libido the options can be to see a sex therapist to help discover new sexual positions that may be more comfortable for you and to help bring back the emotional connection and intimacy back in the relationship. Also your doctor can prescribe a low level of testosterone to help boost your libido, this has been used off-label for years and has been successful, although there is some controversy surrounding it. In addition, your physician can prescribe an antidepressant called Wellbutrin that has showed success in increasing a women's libido after menopause.

Dr. Z :

I also want to provide you with these links with some more information as well

Dr. Z :

If you want to seek a sex therapist or a therapist that specializes in sexual therapy, I can provide you with some recommendations if you like

Customer:

Thank you so much. I would like to get a recommendation from you. I have had trouble finding one on my own.

Dr. Z :

Sure, can I have your zip code please

Customer:

I am in the Memphis area

Dr. Z :

Okay, give me a few minutes to compile a good list for you

Customer:

I can wait . Thank you

Dr. Z :

Okay, so the first link is a Certified Sex Therapist. These are the most qualified in sex therapists because they have gone through extra training. Now the other therapist links also have specialties in sex therapy, which mean they are good, but may not be as qualified as the Certified Sex Therapist.

Customer:

You have been so helpful. I appreciate it more than you know. Thank you again.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I hope it works out well for you and your husband regarding this issue. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

I will. Thanks

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome :)

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.