Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

IS IT POSSIBLE TO LOSE WEIGHT WHILE ON OLANZIPINE?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr. Vikas :

Olanzapine can cause significant weight gain and many patients frequently report this side effect.

Dr. Vikas :

Are you currently taking Olanzapine, if yes, in what dose?

Dr. Vikas :

and since when?

Customer:

I am taking 10 mg at night time

Dr. Vikas :

Kindly also mention your diagnosis?

Customer:

for approx the last two years. Bi-Polar disorder

Dr. Vikas :

OK, are you noticing significant weight gain while taking this medicine.

Customer:

i have gained 10 + lbs and would like to lose it even the 10 lbs

Dr. Vikas :

weight gain is reversible in most cases once the medicine is stopped.

Customer:

is that safe and how would i start to wean myself off of this horrible drug

Dr. Vikas :

see, if your doctor want you to continue medicine, in that case, you can ask him or her to shift you on another medicine which does not cause weight gain like Abilify

Customer:

I am also on lamotrigine, and effexor

Dr. Vikas :

OK, in that case, Abilify can be a very good option for you. It does not cause weight gain and is a very good mood stabilizer too.

Dr. Vikas :

your doctor can shift you easily on this medicine.

Customer:

ok does it cause drowsiness ?

Dr. Vikas :

No it is an activating medicine unlike Olanzapine. It is usually taken in morning as it can cause insomnia if taken at night.

Customer:

ok thank you for your info you have been most helpful

Dr. Vikas :

You are most welcome. Thanks for coming to JA.

Dr. Vikas :

I really enjoyed working with you. Please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. You can Bookmark my profile link in your browser. ( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.