Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Am I falling into depression?

Customer Question

Am I falling into depression?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr. Vikas :

Besides having lack of motivation to go to gym if you are also experiencing sadness, fatigue, irritability, most of the time for most of the days, these symptoms could be suggestive of depressive phase.

Dr. Vikas :

Kindly try this short online screening quiz for bipolar depression and let me know about your score.

Customer:

I got a score of 24 either bipolar or depressive. I don't feel sadness. Just fatigue. I felt like going to sleep at 3 p.m. yesterday when I should have been in the gym. Today I woke up wanting to sleep more. I had a good night sleep. Now I am preparing to wake my 5 yr daughter to get her ready for school. Then after dropping her, I plan on going to the gym earlier. I'll update you about my day. I recently decreased Geodon to 60 mg. I want to know if that is affecting me. I am not feeling sleepy like before when I used to take 80 mg. Today I just wanted to sleep more. It wasn't the same feeling like before though.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Dr. Vikas : Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.
Dr. Vikas : Besides having lack of motivation to go to gym if you are also experiencing sadness, fatigue, irritability, most of the time for most of the days, these symptoms could be suggestive of depressive phase.
Dr. Vikas : Kindly try this short online screening quiz for bipolar depression and let me know about your score.
Dr. Vikas :
Bipolar Screening Quiz | Psych Central Customer: I got a score of 24 either bipolar or depressive. I don't feel sadness. Just fatigue. I felt like going to sleep at 3 p.m. yesterday when I should have been in the gym. Today I woke up wanting to sleep more. I had a good night sleep. Now I am preparing to wake my 5 yr daughter to get her ready for school. Then after dropping her, I plan on going to the gym earlier. I'll update you about my day. I recently decreased Geodon to 60 mg. I want to know if that is affecting me. I am not feeling sleepy like before when I used to take 80 mg. Today I just wanted to sleep more. It wasn't the same feeling like before though.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Like I said earlier, I got a score of 24 on the quiz. Please also above for more of my response. I got my daughter ready, but she didn't go to school since she has the flu. I will not go to the gym. I will try to walk on the treadmill at home. I'll update you on that.

Hello Gisele,

Thanks for your reply. Please accept my apology for the delay in replying back.

The score of 24 indicate that probably you are still depressed and your doctor can consider the option of increasing the dose of Lexapro further to 15 mg per day. This should help in lifting up of your mood.

Geodon has a side effect of causing sedation and decreasing the dose of Geodon from 80 to 60 mg per day can be the reason behind your feeling not sleepy in morning. The usual dose range of Geodon is from 80-160 mg per day in Bipolar depression and 60 mg is comparatively a very low dose. If you think that you are not getting the same effect with 60 mg, you can ask your doctor to again increase the dose further at least up to 80 mg per day.

Kind regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I want to know what indicates to you that I am not getting the same effect with 60 mg Geodon, Like can you give me some things I can look at to determine whether I am getting the same effect as 80 mg? I feel a bit sluggish is what you mean? Or I didn't go to the gym or exercise today. Being a bit less active is what made you think I am not getting the same effect as 80 mg?

Unfortunately there is no test for this and this has to be determined clinically on the basis of what a patient is experiencing.

The minimum recommending dose of Geodon is 80 mg per day and 60 mg is a very low dose in my view.

As I mentioned earlier also, The score of 24 indicate that probably you are still depressed and your doctor can consider the option of increasing the dose of Lexapro further to 15 mg per day. This should help in lifting up of your mood.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am not bipolar depressed. I just have mood disorder that is why I take Geodon. I reduced Geodon on Monday night. Tuesday I just got my daughter ready for school. Went for shopping. Did an online test. Nothing else productive. Wednesday daughter didn't go to school. So just sat around and spent time with her. Nothing else productive. But all these days I have posted questions on justanswer. I am analyzing my situation. I have not gone into mania yet. Could it be I am not bipolar anymore?

Mood disorder is another name of Bipolar disorder in which a patient may experience either a manic episode / hypomanic episode and or depressive episode.

What is bipolar disorder?

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsdisorders/bipolardisorder.aspx

It is possible that your manic symptoms are under control and you are going into a depressive phase. Just discuss with your psychiatrist about increasing the dose of Lexapro as I mentioned earlier.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Do you think I am in depression or am maniac based on what I did today? I got daughter ready and dropped her to school. I made French fries for her. Then I went for grocery shopping. I came home and put the stuff away. Then I made the dough. I made chapatis for myself. Ate and went to the gym. Did HIIT (High Intensive Interval Training) for half hour on an elliptical. I had an appointment with the trainer. Then I picked my daughter from her school. I spent time with the family. My sister-in-law left for the weekend. I am missing her already. But other than that, everything is normal. I have the motivation to look forward to tomorrow. I am happy. I am smiling while writing to you Dr. Vikas.

Gisele,

Simply on the basis of this little information I can't comment on your state of mind, however if I have to guess, my guess would be, that you appear to be neither depressed nor manic
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the response! From a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being the lowest, I feel I am at a level 7 in my mood. I have the motivation to do things. I make breakfast for my husband and get daughter ready for school and drop her. I am starting to do stuff in the kitchen. I am participating in other activities. I don't feel depressed. I spend about few hours on justanswer. I like receiving a new answer. I like to analyze my situation and medicines. Does that indicate I have mania? That is the only thing I do which makes me think of it. I had a 7 day free trial with justanswer and I asked about 25 questions. I spent some hours on it then. And then I was taking 80 mg Geodon.

My husband thinks I should just work with my psychiatrist. But I like getting second opinion. Justanswer to him seems like mania. In the past when I was in mania, I used to spend time on facebook even got in touch with Madhuri Dixit on phone. I went crazy for facebook. Then I was spending much time on yahoo answers. This is when I was obsessed with going to the gym in losing weight. So now justanswer has become a hobby. But do you think this could lead me into mania?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

After dropping my daughter to school, I had come on justanswer. That is when I sent you my earlier reply. I had 2 accounts on justanswer. I sent a reply to my question on the other account and you were the expert. To avoid the confusion, I closed that account. I then also called customer service for few other issues. I cannot believe it I ended up spending 2.5 hours on justanswer. I regret now because I could have walked on my treadmill then. But now I will walk for a shorter time than planned. My plan was to do an hour on it. I have to stop short because I have to get ready for an Indian party I am going to tonight. I have to pick up my daughter earlier from school today.

They say it is an obsession when it interferes with your life. That is what happened with justanswer today. I will make a goal of spending no more than 10 minutes on justanswer. But please tell me if justanswer is a sign of mania for me or is it an obsession or neither?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I had no time to walk on the treadmill. This is what I did today:
1. Made breakfast

2. Got daughter ready

3. Droped her to school

4. Sat on justanswer for 2.5 hours

5. Made smoothie

6. Sat on justanswer for 10 minutes

7. Took a long shower

8. Ironed salwar kameez

9. Picked daughter from school

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Please don't over read my responses. All contains useful information. I am waiting eagerly for your reply. Based on today, my time spent on justanswer, is it indicative of mania?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hope to hear from you soon....Kiss.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi again...I check my mail every 30 minutes to see if I got an answer from you. I want to know if justanswer usage by me is a hint of mania. By the way, I didn't go to the party because it got re-scheduled for tomorrow. And I am very excited because I am going to India next year for a wedding. I am looking forward to that. Please give me a thorough response analyzing my situation.

See, you have already tried a Bipolar screening quiz and got a score or 24 which makes Mania unlikely in my view. You can again try that quiz and see if you get a different score today.

If you are able to limit your time on JA, it will not be counted as obsession also.

Have you gone through the link I gave in my previous answer.

Please check it to know about the symptoms of Mania.

I am again giving that link below.

What is bipolar disorder?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I took the quiz again with full attention. I got a score of 5. And thanks for providing me with the link again. I will read it thoroughly tomorrow in the morning. So do you think I am set with .5 mg Lorazepam BID, and at night Buspirone 15 mg, and Geodon 60 mg? I will limit my time on JA.

I guess, your medicines are appropriate at present.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I forgot to put in Lexapro 10 mg in the earlier message. So I take in morning Lorazepam .5 mg, Lexapro 10 mg, and at night Lorazepam .5 mg, Buspirone 15 mg, and Geodon 60 mg. I am wishing to taper and stop taking Lorazepam. I want to get pregnant in the near future. I hope my anxiety remains in control. Do you know of a quiz one can take to check on one's anxiety?

And what does a score 5 indicate in the bipolar quiz you sent me earlier?

Thirdly, my doctor reduced Geodon to 60 Monday night. I am taking Lexapro 10 mg. That increased the chances of mania. It has been four days since I reduced Geodon. How many more days should I wait to see if the reduction will cause mania?

Don't worry about mania too much. Just go through the link I have given above regarding manic symptoms. Simply reducing the dose of Geodon by 20 mg will not increase the chance of mania as such.

Anxiety Screening Quiz

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/anxiety.htm
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I got a score of 5 on the anxiety quiz. What does that indicate?

I feel little anxious in mornings when getting daughter ready for school on time. She can be bit stubborn. I get somewhat anxious when taking care of her. Can you give me suggestions on how to cope with that anxiety?

Also, I increased Lexapro to 10 mg 12 days ago. How much more time does it need to act fully?

I had an interesting day today. You are helping me figure out where I stand in my mental health. I truly appreciate your input.

Score from 0-5 indicate no anxiety.

Lexapro may take 1-2 weeks in showing its effect.

You are not anxious as such according to the quiz so there is no need of suggestion regarding anxiety management.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Do you think I can ask my doctor to reduce my Lorazepam?

The worry I face in taking care of my daughter do you think can be improved with cognitive behavior therapy? Do you have any suggestions there?

Thanks,

xxxxxxx

xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx

Yes, you can ask your doctor to reduce Lorazepam.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy can be very useful in your case specially in combination with medicines.
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I felt lazy throughout the whole day today. Does that mean Geodon is making me sedated?
And thanks for answering my questions. I would like to keep in touch with you. I am also from your country. Gisele is not my real name. I have given you my email address in the above response. Would love to hear from you there. I am about to stop using JA to not have an obsession. Will wait for your response here. And then will wait for your response in email.

You were the expert I worked with back in June too. I feel you understand me well.

Reducing the dose of Geodon will not cause sedation but can make you less sleepy.

I am extremely sorry to say but I will not be able to contact you outside JA as it is against the site policy.

I am giving you a link below to a website where you can try free online Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

http://www.llttf.com/
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No problems about the outside contact. And what I meant by Geodon making me sedated is not because the reduced dosage. It is simply my taking it even at 60 mg is making me sedated. The medicine in general makes one sedated. I am less sleepy compared to 80 mg, but 60 is also sedative. Do you agree?
Yes, 60 mg can be sedative in some patients.

Now you should try to take a break from JA and totally avoid posting questions continuously for at least a week :) .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll do as you say sir! Take care.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr Vikas,

I know it has been only 6 days away from JA, but I have broken the habit. Tomorrow is the weekend and I will not have time to write peacefully like now. I am feeling lazy at the moment. It is the weather. My nephew is also feeling sleepy. But I want to update you about my condition.

My psychiatrist further reduced my Geodon to 40 mg on 10/7. 60 mg was still making me sedated. I just have trouble falling asleep so I use Benadryl to fall asleep. So now I am talking .5 mg Lorazepam and 10 mg Lexapro in mornings. With dinner, I take .5 mg Lorazepam, 15 mg Buspirone, and 40 mg Geodon. I wonder if there are withdrawal effects of reducing Geodon. It has been about 4 days since the reduction. I had okay days. I didn't take a sleeping pill on the 9th. Sleep was disturbed though.

I had no motivation for the gym yesterday the 10th. Maybe because I was sleepy. I left a voicemail with my psychiatrist. Texted my husband. Then I went to the gym. I was thinking about my psychiatrist all day long yesterday. I have been seeing him over an year now. I was waiting for his call. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with him. So today I just came back from his office. I told him about my feelings. He calls it an obsession. I was once obsessed with facebook, then losing weight, then checking my weight, then justanswer, and then my psychiatrist. Do you think it is an obsession or a crush? I need to control my feelings now. Is this a sign of mania?

I was wishing to talk to someone about my situation yesterday. I called few people. Today after I came from the appointment I called my past psychiatrist; a friend of my husband. I told him my current psychiatrist is referring me to a colleague for a consultation to better diagnose me. Do you think this is a sign of depression talking to different people like I have been making phone calls? I am just wishing to get well. I want to analyze my situation.

Waiting for your reply. Please tell me if you sense mania in me or depression.

Withdrawal symptoms due to Geodon can appear if the medicine is stopped abruptly but since your doctor is reducing it slowly so you need not to worry about withdrawal symptoms in my view

I agree with your psychiatrist regarding the possibility of Obsession in your case. It is not a sign of mania.

It is neither mania nor depression in my view.

Have you started CBT via that website about which I mentioned earlier in my previous answer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I spoke to my psychiatrist and said I will think of him as my friend. That should align my feelings. He said it will bring some low mood for few days. I am feeling in low mood. I feel so close to him because he knows about my mental problem. He does cognitive behavior therapy with me. Or do you think I am falling in depression? Decrease in Geodon could do that too. I am not smiling. I feel low. But not crying. Can you help me figure myself out?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you please reply to my last message?Is the depression due to decreasing Geodon? Is it the withdrawal effect? Will it go away in some days? How many days?

No, as I mentioned before, Geodon is not primarily indicated for treating depression therefore reducing the dose of Geodon will not cause depression. It is also not withdrawal because your doctor is reducing the dose very slowly. Most likely reason for your feeling like this is probably because you are concentrating too much on your bodily symptoms. Best treatment option for you right now in my view is to divert your mind.

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. I will try to get busy with other tasks like cooking in the kitchen, going to the gym, meditation. Please tell me anything else that comes to your mind as tasks I can do to divert my mind. I will wait for your response here. After getting your answer I will reply back in one month. I want to work on my obsession.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please read also my last response. I am going to get busy with other tasks. I will also look for jobs. Or do you think I am not yet ready for a job? I want you to tell me what are other things I can do. Are there any games for the mind online to help with depression or anxiety? I spent some hours online on webmd researching about Geodon. I wanted to know what it is treating in me. I was thinking about the time on how I had a full blown mania two and half years ago. I get mania only when I take a SSRI without taking a mood stabilizer. I want to feel happy that I have not had mania after decreasing Geodon yet. I want to remain stable. Can you give me suggestions? You have done excellent service. I hope to hear from you soon. Then I will reply in one month. Thanks for your responses!
I guess, a job can help a lot in diverting your mind. Meditation at home is also a very good idea.

Don't worry about mania while taking medicines.

You can try a thought stopping technique to stop these unwanted negative thoughts. I am giving you a link below for that.

http://panicdisorder.about.com/od/livingwithpd/ht/ThoughtStop.htm

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/positive-thinking-stopping-unwanted-thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsVu9M9KgvM
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is this a sign of mania? I went to my psychiatrist nicely dressed with a short dress up to my knees. I was wearing perfume that he said was very strong. I said I carried it in my purse and put it on in the car. Even last time it was strong. I was wearing make up. I said I want to look nice in front of him. He asked why. I said so he will like me. I said so he can get attracted to me. He didn't know what to say. He was confused. So was I. I want him to treat me. I don't want any hinderance in my treatment. We spent forty minutes discussing on the above. Only 20 minutes on my medicine or problem. I felt bad the rest of the day. I even called him. He said he will discuss on Friday in my next appointment.

I know I was not supposed to log back until one month. But this is sort of an emergency. I want to make it better on Friday. I have no one else to talk to than you Dr. Vikas. Should I go dressed in my jeans and no make up? Do you think I attracted him? He said you look like you are dressed up for a job interview.

Is this mania?

No, this is not Mania. A patient suffering from Mania has no insight regarding his or her symptoms and behavior but you are very much aware of your current circumstances.

I think, it is more of a obsessive type of thinking.

Psychiatrists are professionals and are trained to not get involved with their patients. I don't think that he has any intention of getting attracted towards you and same applies to you also.

You can go in your Jeans with a light make up and there is no harm in doing that :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Do you think I will be overly dressed to my appointment tomorrow? I am going to wear black slacks with a pink, silver, and black blouse. I will be wearing silver sandals. I am wearing a pink nailpolish on my feet and hands. I will do light makeup. Or do you think I should wear jeans with a black blouse and black shoes (no nailpolish showing) and little make up?

I am going to speak about decreasing my Lorazepam. I face little anxiety in evenings because there are many rituals to perform like eating at 8, taking medicines, brushing, flossing, mouthwash, feeding daughter, drinking decaffeinated tea, putting eye medicine, putting on a diaper on daughter. All has to be done by 10 so I can be in bed then. Thinking about the next morning on how daughter will behave when getting ready for school brings some worry.

But does this sound like a concern than anxiety? I took the anxiety quiz again and got a score of 5. I also took the bipolar quiz and got a score of 2. Please also note I am not going to India joining my sister-in-law's family for her daughter's wedding. So I will be alone in home with my husband and daughter. I will need to do the cooking and everything else. There will be no extra help in getting my daughter ready for school. They will be gone from December to February. Do you think that might not be a good time for reduced Lorazepam?

Do you think I can reduce Geodon to 20 mg? The only problem with the reduction is I am not able to fall asleep. So I have been using Benadryl every night. But Benadryl stays in the system even in mornings. Do you know of any drug I can take to fall asleep which is fast acting? It should remain in the system for 6 or so hours.

Thanks for your help. I will rate the response.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you please reply to my last response?
Please accept my apology for the delay in replying back. I was not able to open the question probably due to some technical problem.

I will not comment on the type of dress you should wear. You can wear anything you like. Believe me, your psychiatrist will see you and not your dress.

Decreasing the dose of Lorazepam can be tried in my view. .5 mg itself is a very low dose. If you are able to reduce the dose of Lorazepam but still able to control your anxiety, this is a good sign.

In my view, at this stage, you should not think about reducing the dose of Geodon further and don't use Benadryl daily for getting sleep.

Instead of Benedryl, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you a short acting sedative medicine like Zolpidem to be taken on as and when needed basis. Zolpidem can be very helpful in patients having difficulty in sleep initiation.
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This morning I took .3 mg Lorazepam. My usual dose is .5 mg. I got my daughter ready and dropped her to school fine. Please tell me whether I am facing anxiety from the following: I went to see my psychiatrist. In my last appointment I had mentioned tapering Lorazepam. He had said we will discuss in next appointment (today) as we were out of time. So I was excited to discuss it. My psychiatrist recommended me not to change the dose meaning still take .5 mg morning and .5 mg night. He explained by telling he has scheduled for me to see his colleague psychiatrist next week for diagnosis and treatment recommendations. I might become more anxious and that might not be good for the diagnosis. But my argument is if I reduce Lorazepam then I would truly know whether I am still suffering from that extreme anxiety. So then the diagnosis will be clearly true. My psychiatrist said he has given me his recommendation. And that I can do whatever I decide with my husband. I will talk to my husband tonight. But what do you think Dr. Vikas. I should take .25 mg in the mornings right to tell whether I still suffer from anxiety as much?

I want to know from you whether you will say I am facing anxiety. I cannot let go off of the thought of Lorazepam. I have texted my husband. Left voicemails with my psychiatrist. I also picked up Ambien from the pharmacy. I am going to delay my Lorazepam to take it at bedtime. If that doesn't help me sleep, then I will take Ambien.

But please tell me if reducing Lorazepam is a good idea to see the results.

I am giving you a link below regarding symptoms of anxiety. Kindly go through it before we can discuss further.

Please also note that Lorazepam and Ambien are usually not taken together on the same day, until and unless, your psychiatrist has told you to do so.

What does anxiety feel like?

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsdisorders/anxiety,panic,phobias.aspx
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I looked at the link. I am not facing that any of those anxieties. My psychiatrist prescribed Ambien knowing I take Lorazepam at night. But I am coming to consult you today. I will rely on just Lorazepam tonight. Not even take Benadryl. But tell me if I should reduce morning Lorazepam to .25 mg, half of the usual dose.

I took .30 mg this morning. Had no anxiety. Told you what I did today. Went to psychiatrist. Interested in reducing my Lorazepam. Texted my husband. Left voicemails for psychiatrist. Some has to do with the obsession I have for him. But other than that, I was fine today. I am a little sick stuffy nose. So skipped on the gym.

So you tell me if I should reduce Lorazepam in morning.

OK, so it is now clear that what you are experiencing is not anxiety :)

As I mentioned earlier also, .5 mg of Lorazepam is a very low dose and if you are able to tolerate the reduction in dose by .25 mg there is no harm in trying that in my view.

Have you started trying Thought stopping technique to stop the unwanted thoughts in your mind or not? In your case,this technique can be very useful for focusing your mind on important matters. It is a very good technique to stop Obsessive thoughts.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Dr. Vikas,

On 10/7, my psychiatrist reduced Geodon from 60 to 40 mg. Then on October 29, he reduced Lexapro from 10 to 7.5 mg. What are the side effects of the reductions?

Positive side effect of Geodon that I have been experiencing is no sedation in the mornings when I wake up. Negative side effect is it is not possible to fall asleep without Sonata. What are some more positive and negative side effects of reducing Geodon and also Lexapro?

Does Geodon cause anxiety? And does reduction in Lexapro cause anxiety? So should I be experiencing decreased anxiety or leveled out?

It has been almost 5 days since my reduction in Lexapro. I have been participating in normal activities like getting daughter ready for school and dropping her. Then exercising and studying. I feel fatigued out by 6 p.m. Do you think Lexapro reduction has had any effects on me yet?

Thanks,

Gisele

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you please reply to my last concern?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 9 months ago.

As such, no side effects should occur if your doctor start reducing the dose of your medicines. We as a psychiatrist reduce the dose of any medicine only when we think that the patient suffering from Bipolar disorder is recovering well and his or her medicines can be taper down and stopped completely.
So, if your doctor is reducing the dose of medicines you are taking, this is a good sign and it means that you are recovering well. I don't think that you want to take these medicines forever so instead of thinking that what can be the possible side effects of reducing the dose, you should be happy thinking that very soon, you will not be needing medicines any more :)

It may take some time before your body start adjusting to the reduced dose. In the mean while, you should try to tolerate these symptoms.

THE MORE YOU CONCENTRATE ON YOUR PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS, MORE ARE THE CHANCES THAT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STOP YOUR MEDICINES.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your response! I will do as you say not think too much about my physical condition, but just live my life.
Yes,doing this should help you in recovering very soon :)

Kind regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Dr Vikas,It's been a while. How you been? I am fine. Just have a quick question about my tapering of Lorazepam. Before that, I would like to say I have changed to a female psychiatrist. I have seen her two times already. She said I should decrease my Lorazrpam. But the rest I did kinda on my own.I used to take Lorazrpam in morning .5 mg and evening .5 mg. On 11/16 reduced the morning dose to .25. Did this until the 27th. On the 28th didn't take it at all. Noticed dizziness, weakness, blurriness 29th around 11:30 am. Had not eaten breakfast yet; only a small snack. So I took .25 Lorazepam at 12:15 after having breakfast. Felt better in about 3 hours. Reduced evening dose to .25.On the 30th reduced morning dose to .125 and took evening as .25. I haven't noticed any withdrawal so far. I am going to ask my doctor to stop morning dose and reduce evening to .125. Or should I take .125 morning and .125 evening for another month or so. Please tell me how I should do my tapering.Yesterday I had irritability, grandiosity, and was very talkative. My psychiatrist reduced my Lexapro to 2.5 mg. I am taking that from tomorrow. Here is my question to you. SSRI causes me mania. That is why I take Geodon. Should I also reduce Geodon because could it possibly put me into depression? I am taking Lexapro for depression. So if I reduce Lexapro I should also reduce Geodon. Please also give me your thoughts on that.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 months ago.

First of all please accept my apology for the delay in replying back. I just saw your question.

In my view, you can ask your doctor to stop the morning dose of Lorazepam. It can be taken on as and when needed basis if required.

As your diagnosis is Bipolar disorder so Geodon should not be reduced in my view because it not only helps in controlling and preventing manic episode but can also help in preventing depressive episode when you are not taking Lexapro. Geodon will not cause depression if you stop Lexapro so don't worry about it a bit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I reduced Lexapro to 2.5 mg on the 5th. It has been about 4 days. Can you tell me in how much time does one feel withdrawals?

A patient may experience withdrawal symptoms like dizziness, irritability, insomnia, sweating, tingling sensation in the body, nausea etc during the tapering process or after stopping the Lexapro.

In most cases, these withdrawal symptoms may persist for 1-2 weeks and then subside by its own.

However, if a patient is slowly tapering the medicine, withdrawal symptoms are unlikely.
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist