Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

(OCD religious thoughts since 3 years) My doctor prescribed

(OCD religious thoughts since 3 years)
My doctor prescribed Seroquel 100 for me since 2 years in addition to Faverin 300 mg and Prozac 20 mg (in the morning).
Over 2 years i reduced the dosages: serquel (100 to 50XR), Faverin (300 to 100) and stopped Prozac. I didn't suffer from major withdrawal symptoms since i did it over long period. is that OK? i didn't consult my doctor since i cant afford to pay him anymore.
Since four days i suddenly stopped Seroquel 50XR over night, surprisingly i can sleep and the only deference is that i am feeling anxious, worried and tired, my stomach is stable too and. Shall i continue what i started since its 4 days since i stopped it? i am worried that i might have the religious OCD thoughts attacks again but i think that Faverin is more related to OCD thoughts?
Thanks Dr.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr. Vikas :

OCD is usually a chronic disorder but has a variable course, some patient experience a fluctuating course and other experience a constant one. Usually OCD symptoms are precipitated during a stressful period.

Dr. Vikas :

You are very correct here that Faverin (Fluvoxamine) and Prozac are the main medicines used for treating OCD symptoms. Seroquel is just an additional medicine which some psychiatrist may use for sedation or occasionally as an augmenting medicine to augment the effect of Faverin and Prozac.

Dr. Vikas :

The usual dose range of Seroquel is from 300 to 800 mg per day and you were on a comparatively very low dose. Since you have stopped it abruptly and are having no significant withdrawal symptoms so in my view there is no need to start it again specially for OCD related symptoms as it is not useful for treating OCD symptoms.

Dr. Vikas :

A slow tapering is always the best strategy when a patient want to stop Faverin or Fluoxetine and you have done the correct thing here that you reduced the dose very slowly.

Dr. Vikas :

Psychotherapy specially Cognitive Behavior Therapy has also a good role in controlling OCD symptoms and since you are not willing to continue medicines, you can try CBT online for free via the website link I am giving below.

Dr. Vikas :

are you online right now?

Customer:

yes dr.

Dr. Vikas :

great

Customer:

i am just feeling anxious and uncomfortable

Customer:

i am afraid that OCD will attack again

Customer:

i have sudden moves

Dr. Vikas :

right now, are you taking Faverin 100 mg?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Vikas :

like/

Customer:

but i am feeling depressed. i just feel better when after 8 pm i dont know why but maybe because the bed time is close

Dr. Vikas :

OK, see, first of all you should stop worrying that you may have another attack of OCD

Customer:

ok

Dr. Vikas :

because worrying about it is not going to control the symptoms but in fact may precipitate them.

Dr. Vikas :

For controlling OCD symptoms either Prozac or Faverin dose can again be increased if required so don't worry about it at all

Dr. Vikas :

Seroquel has no role in treating OCD symptoms.

Customer:

ok great, shall i add prozac 20 in the morning to modify the mood?

Dr. Vikas :

yes, it can also be tried since you were taking it earlier also.

Dr. Vikas :

you should also try CBT via the link I have given above

Customer:

one last question Dr.: i know that OCD thoughts are fake but i started to think that these recurring thoughts might be real.

Customer:

like i might be affraid to admitt something, and thats why i am refering thoughts to OCD

Dr. Vikas :

can you explain it please?

Customer:

my thoughts are religious, i am searching the internet all the time to find evidences that will strngthen my beleives. but what if these recurring thoughts were coming again and again because they are telling me that you are ignoring the truth?!

Customer:

i am just thinking, if i want to do the behavioral exercises i have to be sure that the first step applies to me which is know that you have OCD. do i? this is the question, and are those thoughts necessarily false?

Dr. Vikas :

OK, have you ever tried thought stopping techniques?

Customer:

i cant do it, i feel like i am just re programming my self

Customer:

i feel that i am running away from the truth

Customer:

what i do is that i say: i have OCD

Customer:

the thoughts are fake and not my fault

Customer:

its recurring without any benefit

Customer:

so i will postpone thinking to the evening, when i am relaxed

Customer:

but i doesnt work when i am fully stressed

Customer:

or fully attacked by OCD thoughts

Dr. Vikas :

ok, thanks

Dr. Vikas :

see, there is a though stopping technique which can be very helpful in your case

Dr. Vikas :

have you tried it?

Customer:

no dr.

Dr. Vikas :

OK, you can try Thought stopping technique

Dr. Vikas :

I am giving you a link below

Dr. Vikas :

and a link for Cognitive Behavior therapy

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Ahmed,

Just try the Thought stopping technique and I believe, it can help a lot in controlling your OCD thoughts.

CBT can also help in controlling your OCD thoughts.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sir thank you for your help. i really appreciate it.

just can you suggest anything for my stomach and anxious since 5 days (since i stopped seroquel)?

Hello Ahmad,

You are most welcome.

For anxiety symptoms, you can consult any local doctor near you who can prescribe you a low dose of Clonazepam or Alprazolam. Any one of these medicines can be helpful in controlling your current anxiety symptoms and can be taken on as and when needed basis.

Alprazolam can also help in stomach related symptoms because of anxiety.

Kind regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ONE final question i promise, you deserved a 5 stars service Dr. Vikas:)

I will continue to take my faverin 100 before sleeping but do you think that i shall take prozac 20 or a low dosage of xanax in the morning for my mood?

i love you Dr. :))

Ahmad,

Xanax is useful only for mood related symptoms while Prozac is useful for OCD symptoms as well as mood related symptoms.

Kind regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics