Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

hi I just want to ask if taking Prozac 20 mg in the morning

hi I just want to ask if taking Prozac 20 mg in the morning and a natural remedy for stress (45 mg hops,45 mg skullcap 45 mg dry extract of valerian and 30 mg of vervain) can causes serotonin syndrome or something like that.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr. Vikas :

First of all there is a risk of unknown drug interactions between Prozac and the natural remedy you have mentioned and all such combinations should be totally avoided in my view.

Dr. Vikas :

If you are undergoing stressful period, instead of taking these supplements with Prozac you can also consider the option of trying Cognitive Behavior Therapy if you have not tried it already.

Dr. Vikas :

Please do let me know whether or not you have tried Cognitive Behavior Therapy yet?

Customer:

no I haven't try therapy

Customer:

I took remedy because I couldn't sleep

Customer:

and I had problem to wake up today I went to work but feel headache and cold like starting the flu.

Customer:

I don't have any other symptoms of flu like sore throat

Dr. Vikas :

Thanks for your reply. Prozac is an activating antidepressant and should be taken in morning of afternoon

Dr. Vikas :

are you taking it in morning or at night?

Customer:

morning

Dr. Vikas :

For sleep related problems, you can always ask your doctor to prescribe you a low dose of Lorazepam 1 or 2 mg to be taken at night on as and when needed basis.

Dr. Vikas :

other good option is Zolpidem.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Vikas :

In addition to medicines, you can also try Cognitive Behavior therapy which can be very helpful in your case.

Customer:

you don't know my case

Dr. Vikas :

what exactly is your diagnosis. Since you are taking an antidepressant so the possibility can be depression or anxiety disorder.

Customer:

depression

Customer:

since lost of baby

Dr. Vikas :

Really sorry to hear a about that.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Vikas :

see, the usual dose range of Prozac is from 20-60 mg per day and you are currently on a very low dose.

Customer:

and I m feeling on top of the world

Dr. Vikas :

sorry?

Customer:

I m feeling very good since I m taking in just the shakes and headache today like flu

Customer:

I was thinking that maybe the remedy and Prozac wasn't a good idea

Customer:

and I have serotonin syndrome

Customer:

to much happiness

Dr. Vikas :

see, that is what I was mentioning. Prozac and natural / herbal products can interact with each other and no one can predict how a patient is going to respond to any such combination.

Dr. Vikas :

is your doctor aware of your taking them in combination?

Customer:

no

Customer:

it was just once

Customer:

yestrday

Dr. Vikas :

OK, the best thing right now to do is to totally stop using them in combination.

Customer:

my hands shakes

Customer:

I wont use it again

Dr. Vikas :

are you currently experiencing shakes, headache, flu like symptoms, hand shake?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Vikas :

in that case, you should consult your GP because you have started developing these symptoms after taking the combination

Dr. Vikas :

I don't think that there is a high probability of serotonin syndrome but it should be ruled out.

Customer:

it will be difficult to contact my gp is there anything else I can do at home

Dr. Vikas :

the exact mechanism of action of the herbs you have mentioned is not well known and the possibility of drug interaction can't be ruled out.

Dr. Vikas :

in case, if your symptoms persist or worsen, you should consult a doctor to rule out the possibility of serotonin syndrome or other possible medical cause.

Dr. Vikas :

unfortunately there is nothing much you can do from home.

Customer:

what doc. will do

Customer:

maybe it will settle by itselfe

Dr. Vikas :

ok, please be careful

Dr. Vikas :

and seek medical attention if the symptoms persist or aggravate.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Vikas :

hopefully everything will be alright.

Customer:

hopefully thanks

Dr. Vikas :

later on you can try Cognitive Behavior therapy instead of herbal product which is much safer and can bring a long lasting benefit in your symptoms.

Dr. Vikas :

I am giving you a link below by which you can try it for free online

Customer:

ok I will

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Vikas :

just try it in combination with Prozac.

Dr. Vikas :

most welcome.

Dr. Vikas :

if you do not have any other question, you can rate my answer now.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Vikas :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. You can Bookmark my profile link in your browser.
( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/

Dr. Vikas :

Please wait, there is some technical difficulty, I am switching over to Q & A mode so that you can rate my answer.

Customer:

ok

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hello agens,

Sorry for the trouble, I hope you are now able to view my response and can rate my answer.

Kind regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics