Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

i fear elevatorshello...ithink i OKMH0930503

Customer Question

i fear elevators

hello...ithink i suffer from heights phobia and i only traveled 3 times aboard plane and i vowed not to ride it again.

anyway recently i wish to study web design and the closest school to me is on the 10th floor building....and the elevator keeps me from studying my dream ...plz help im desperate.

PS : i only get scared from elevator when im alone and wont ride it....but if someone with me its cool .
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 12 months ago.

Dr. Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr. Vikas :

Phobia is an excessive fear of a specific object, circumstance or situation.Person with specific phobia may anticipate harm, for example, if they fear being in an elevator, they may also worry about fainting after the door closes. The fear worsen if they are alone and these patient may go in an elevator only when accompanied by someone.

Dr. Vikas :

are you there?

Customer:

yes sir good monring

Dr. Vikas :

Good morning

Dr. Vikas :

Are you also experiencing anxiety symptoms in general, do you also consider yourself sad most of the time and most of the days?

Customer:

not i dont think however i think i have fear of heights in general since also i only rode the plane 3 times and at the 3rd i traveled to Bahrain and returned to kuwait by car.

Dr. Vikas :

have you started avoiding places at height, are you able to go to your rooftop with developing anxiety?

Dr. Vikas :

without developing anxiety symptoms such as palpitation, sweating, giddiness, rapid heart rate etc

Customer:

i dont have a roof but if u mean like loo high place i think im ok with that actuallyking down from a very

Customer:

no i only have these if i staying long in the elevator and when i rode the plane last time

Customer:

fear of eminent death

Dr. Vikas :

OK, so are you avoiding elevators not?

Customer:

but yes i avoided elevator many times...i even climbed 6 floors stairs once and many times to avoid elevator

Customer:

yea

Customer:

the 10th floor i talked about building have no stairs lol :)

Dr. Vikas :

OK, in that case, it is better to seek treatment for this :)

Dr. Vikas :

there are two treatment options.

Dr. Vikas :

first one is psychotherapy that is Behavior Therapy

Dr. Vikas :

second option is to take medicines like Sertraline or Escitalopram.

Dr. Vikas :

for behavior therapy, you have to consult a psychologist near you

Customer:

what does the medicine do? is it effective?

Dr. Vikas :

yes, medicines are effective.

Customer:

can i tell me like what happens after i eat them ?

Dr. Vikas :

Medicines can control the associated anxiety symptoms because of fear of being in an elevator

Customer:

u"

Dr. Vikas :

once your doctor start medicine like Sertraline, you may start noticing improvement within 1-2 weeks. But these medicines should be continued for at least 3-6 months

Customer:

but i mean if i eat one now for example i could go out and go into the elevator easily without any fears ?

Customer:

i will only climb only 3 times per day for 9 months

Dr. Vikas :

for this purpose, antianxiety medicines like Clonazepam can be helpful

Customer:

to finish diploma

Customer:

yeah i wish for something temporary and effective

Dr. Vikas :

but it can cause dependence when taken for a long duration

Customer:

i will solve it all later on but want something fast to finish my diploma

Dr. Vikas :

since you can't avoid elevators, the better option are either Behavior therapy or SSRI antidepressant like sertraline.

Customer:

how many hours the effects last + any side effects ?

Dr. Vikas :

which medicine?

Dr. Vikas :

sertraline or Clonazepam

Customer:

which ever u recommend

Dr. Vikas :

Clonazepam is sedative in nature

Dr. Vikas :

Sertraline is usually well tolerated and has to be taken daily for few months at least. It can very effectively control your phobic symptoms.

Dr. Vikas :

I personally prefer Sertraline for this purpose. Your doctor can also prescribe you Clonazepam in low dose of .25 mg to be taken on as and when needed basis.

Customer:

im sorry for too many questions on this...are u telling me if i eat the medicne my fear will magically and ofcourse "temporary" disappeare and i can ride the elevator like now?

Dr. Vikas :

no problem :) , yes, you can say so. Most patients report a great improvement in their symptoms within 1-3 weeks of starting the medicines.

Dr. Vikas :

We frequently use a combination of Sertraline and Clonazepam in patients with excellent result.

Customer:

شقث فاثقث سخةث ؤشسثس فاشف فخخن فاث ةثيهؤهىث شىي يهيىف صخقن بخق فاثة؟ ثمثرشفخق بثشق حشفهثىفس ه ةثشى

Customer:

shit sorry

Dr. Vikas :

:)

Customer:

are there elevator fear patients that took the med and didnt work for them

Dr. Vikas :

well, in most cases it works, don't worry about it.

Dr. Vikas :

:)

Customer:

is it sold normally in pharmacies or needing doctor's perscription

Dr. Vikas :

you have to see a doctor for this. Your local physcian can also prescribe you sertraline and clonazepam.

Dr. Vikas :

you need not to go specifically to a psychiatrist for this.

Customer:

whok cool

Customer:

when do i eat the pill exactly ?

Dr. Vikas :

sertraline can be taken either in morning or at night depending whether or not you experience sedation with this medicine.

Dr. Vikas :

clonazepam can be taken on as and when needed basis or daily

Dr. Vikas :

we usually start with either 25 mg or 50 mg of sertaline per day.

Customer:

which one shod i choose? i only want it to attend lectures which will be 3 times per week and each lecture is 2-3 hrs for 9 months

Dr. Vikas :

see, if remain untreated, your symptoms may worsen further

Dr. Vikas :

so it is better to go for Sertraline in my view.

Customer:

simply eating Sertraline without any other theraby can cure the whole thing ?

Dr. Vikas :

Phobia is usually a chronic disorder and the symptoms may wax and wane during the whole life time.

Dr. Vikas :

this medicine will not cure the illness but can help you in living a normal life.

Dr. Vikas :

many patient do not require medicine in later life once they have taken a full course of 6-8 months.

Customer:

Sertraline needs to be taking daily for 6-8 months?

Dr. Vikas :

all SSRI antidepressants should be taken for few months at least.

Customer:

i eat Nexium and antacid sometimes for my acid reflux any problem mixing them>

Dr. Vikas :

I don' think so.

Customer:

last question Sertraline is a 24 hrs treatment ?

Customer:

i mean does it stay effective for that long ?

Dr. Vikas :

yes,

Dr. Vikas :

once a patient start taking it daily, it will effectively control your symptoms for whole day.

Customer:

thx

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics