Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Im a self mutilator, but my weapon is food. I dont like myself and I am very

I'm a self mutilator, but my weapon is food. I don't like myself and I am very lonely and I hate myself more everytime I do this, because it feels like I'm out of control of my own body when I binge. Like I'm outside, screaming at myself to stop and I won't listen. I feel tired all the time and I know it's largely because of how I eat, but I can't/have no will power to stop. Even when I eat a healthy meal and feel good about that, all I can think about it eating crap right away and almost always give in. It's hurting my body and my finances. This needs to stop.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Give me a minute to read over your question, so that I can best serve you tonight.

Dr. Z :

May I ask, when did this behavior start?

Dr. Z :

And have you ever sought out psychological counseling for this behavior?

Customer:

To varying degrees for the last 6 or 7 years. But feels more out of control now than it has before. I have sought psych help before but not for this behaviour

Customer:

.

Dr. Z :

Well the typically the behavior of binge eating is related to a depressive disorder and eating is your way of "comfort," but that is usually short lasting, which i am sure you can attest to. Also binge eating can be used to punish ones self as well, usually this occurs if a person has a lot of self-blame.

Customer:

I went through some serious acid reflux in my 11th grade, to the point where I was basically involuntarily anorexic, couldn't keep food down. I think it started about a year after that cleared up. The acid reflux was stress realted

Customer:

related

Customer:

"Also binge eating can be used to punish ones self as well, usually this occurs if a person has a lot of self-blame." This is what it feels like, but it feels so generalized, that I can't figure out why the hell I'm doing it so I can get to the root cause.

Dr. Z :

Okay, and do you believe that you have any symptoms of depression possibly (e.g. low self-confidence, crying spells, chronic sadness, difficulty concentrating, etc...)?

Customer:

All of the above

Customer:

I also have a hypoactive thyroid which I guess is commonly linked to depression

Dr. Z :

Well it could be a mix of depression and anxiety, these two disorders frequently combine and can result in a binge eating disorder. The punishing one's self is usually related self-blame and low self-confidence, all symptoms of depression

Dr. Z :

Yes hypothyroidism, i have it too, also can lead to depressive symptoms as well. Are you taking medication for this?

Customer:

synthroid

Dr. Z :

Okay that is good, that is what I take as well

Customer:

I have these crazy mood swings which usually cooincide with binge eating. But I've had every test that exists for thyroid function and tried adjusting dosages and it seems like i'm on the right dosage.

Dr. Z :

Most likely you are on the right dosage and your depression/anxiety are separate from your thyroid function

Dr. Z :

I think the first step you should take is to find a therapist that specializes in eating disorders, I can help you find one if you like

Customer:

that would be great

Dr. Z :

What is your zip code so I can look in your area

Customer:

T6G 0E5

Dr. Z :

Okay give me a few minutes to look in your area for you.

Dr. Z :

Okay so all of these therapists specialize in treating eating disorders and most of them also specialize using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which is considered the best therapy modality for treating binge eating like you described

Dr. Z :

Also I would like to recommend these great treatment books that use CBT principles as well to help you too

Dr. Z :

In addition, this is a good link to that helps to link low self-esteem and eating disorders too. It provided great treatment techniques too

Dr. Z :

In addition, if you are considering using an antidepressant I would recommend Wellbutrin as this can be effective for depressive/anxiety symptoms and actually promotes weight loss as well

Customer:

Ok, thank you

Dr. Z :

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Customer:

I just looked up wellbutrin and it's not recommended for people with eating disorders. I assume they are refering to eating disorders where you deprive your body of food?

Dr. Z :

Yes usually it is not recommended for individuals with anorexia and bulimia. Since binge eating has effected your health, I did not want to recommend an antidepressant that can actually cause you to gain more weight, which can further depression in some people.

Customer:

right

Dr. Z :

For binge eating it is usually okay to use, but this is up to your general practitioner or a psychiatrist, which ever you choose to seek

Dr. Z :

Do you have any other questions or concerns that I can help you with?

Customer:

The specialists you recomended are therapists yes? So they are not in the business of prescribing drugs? (just to clarify)

Dr. Z :

No, they do not provide medications, they just give therapy. Would you like me to try to find psychiatrists in your are that specialize in eating disorders too? Usually most psychiatrists these days do not provide therapy as often as a psychologist, this is why I only recommended psychologists to you, but I would be happy to try to find a psychiatrist in your area too. Most individuals typically see a psychologist for therapy (once a week on average) and a psychiatrist for medication management (1 every 3 months on average).

Customer:

k, that's fine. I'll start with this.

Customer:

I spend too much time reaching out for easy answers: tarrot cards and psychics and shitty cosmo self help guides. I think It'll be good to go to someone who will guide me into introspection. I feel like I'm skirting something lodged pretty deep and I'm scared to find it, but whatever it is it's paralyzing me and I need help. This is good. someone to say something to that isn't a google search engine. I can't really talk to my friends about it. When I try they just get uncomfortable and I end up making jokes to difuse it.

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry. There is no quick fix for this, but I am positive that the therapist will help you on this journey and will help figure out the root cause and help you stop this behavior for a sustained period of time, so that you feel like yourself again. A therapist will provide a safe environment, so that you can talk about anything and your therapist will be an ally and supporter of yours too

Customer:

I'm just really unhappy and I can see the fork down the road where I'm either going to get help or do something really gruesome and when I come to the fork I want to choose help.

Customer:

this is a good time I think

Dr. Z :

Good for you!! Choosing help is a big step and one that will yield you positive results.

Dr. Z :

Also those books will provide techniques that can help manage your behavior too, so you can use those and the link until you see your therapist that you choose.

Customer:

K, I'm not ready to talk about anything else right now, I don't think. Thanks for the links.

Dr. Z :

I understand, well I wish you all the best and I hope your treatment works swiftly for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome :)