Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

hi, i have a niece who had a sudden change in behaviour, initially

hi, i have a niece who had a sudden change in behaviour, initially she was detaching from every thing then later she start to be very angry and hostile with every one but me i live away because of my work. she used to love having me around but now she ignore me totally. they told me that a psychiatrist diagnosed her as personality disorder or acute psychosis!. she is only 19 and her change was slow over a year but now she threats to stab people. she says her mom is ignoring her and that she wishes her grand mom is dead or she will kill her. when i am around she stays in her room. but when i leave my mom tell me what she is doing, she confuses things happen to her when she was like 2 years old during her mother separation from her dad. her mother is preventing me from talking to her in any way. how can i help ?! its killing me seeing her like that.
please help me

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Give me a minute to read over your question, so that I can ask the appropriate follow up questions and give you the best answer possible.

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry to hear about your niece and this behavior change, I can imagine how distressing that must be for you to see here this way

Dr. Z :

Did the psychiatrist put her on any medications at all?

Customer:

yes only one but her mom refuses to let me know what is it

Customer:

she is complaining that it make her sleepy

Dr. Z :

Yeah the medications can do that, most likely she was put on an antipsychotic medication to help with the symptoms and aggressiveness that she is displaying.

Dr. Z :

So why is the mom not communicating with you about her daughter? Is the mother concerned for your safety at all or possibly embarrassed by her daughter's behavior?

Customer:

would she be cured ? or is this life long?

Customer:

i think embarrassed, her violent behaviour was there for 3 months but her mom was not telling anything !! later my mother (grand mom) called me and told me

Customer:

when i tried to help she just shuts me out

Customer:

but i feel that she pushes us away from alaa!!

Customer:

is that healthy for alaa?

Customer:

or should we try to stay around?

Dr. Z :

Well it depends...if she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, which seems likely because her symptoms fit and her age is perfect for the onset of schizophrenia, then this will be a lifelong disorder where she will have to take antipsychotic medication for the rest of her life. If the psychosis is related to another disorder (e.g. Depression) then if you cure the depression then she will be fine. Now if this is a personality disorder, although I do not believe it is, then the symptoms will be present for most of her life, but can be managed with therapy and medications.

Dr. Z :

No it is not healthy to push you away from her, but if she feels that her daughter may be impulsive and violent then she may be concerned for your safety.

Customer:

so is leaving her and her mom alone as she wants will help?

Dr. Z :

By the way here is some more detailed information on schizophrenia for you

Dr. Z :

She needs to be put on a good medication regimen to control her symptoms and then when they are controlled it will be good for her to be social again and know that she has a good support system around her.

Dr. Z :

I think first lets make sure everyone is safe because of her stated aggressiveness and how she may want to "kill" other people.

Customer:

so talking to her will be ok, i can try to take her for activity around. she sits only at home and go to university

Dr. Z :

Yes talking to her is fine and doing small activities is good. Usually taking long walks can be beneficial. Sometimes individuals with these symptoms do not like large crowds though as it can provoke an anxiety response, so try to avoid large crowds when doing activities with her.

Customer:

her doctor said acute psychosis or personality disorder her never mention anything about schizophrenia. she has a family history of depression in her dad's family

Customer:

oh ok sure

Customer:

but why she avoids me?

Customer:

she used to love me around we talk laugh go out together

Customer:

even her anger bouts she never show it in front of me

Dr. Z :

Well schizophrenia is a psychosis that usually shows up in the late teens to mid 20's, so her age of onset is perfect for it. Now it could be because of her history of depression that she has a Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features, and this would account for the isolation and acute psychosis. Both possibilities are valid. Also with schizophrenia if there is paranoia at all, then isolation is common as well.

Dr. Z :

With these two disorders the behavior change has nothing to do with you, something changed in her brain that makes her see the world differently and this is why she is reacting in this way and avoiding you

Dr. Z :

But it does not mean you did anything wrong, it is just her perception of you because of her mental health disorder. So be patient and take your time with her, it will take some time to help her break out her shell and do activities with you again

Customer:

so going to visit in this period will be ok, and will try to communicate with her and see will be ok

Customer:

i wont harm her or cause a sit back in her treatment?

Dr. Z :

No you should not cause a set back in her treatment, but do not push her. If she does not want to see you, then just say that you understand and that you are always here if she needs you. This way you are respecting her boundaries and telling her that you support her if she needs any help at all

Customer:

ok i wont push her.

Customer:

thank you for helping me

Customer:

last 2 months were a night mare for me

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help.

Customer:

i hope i wont be something life long

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

god bless you

Dr. Z :

I understand, this is a difficult thing to watch someone you care about go through. I hope it is not life long either.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Z :

I wish you and your niece the very best and I hope it works out well. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.