TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am not sure if I need to go back to therapy for PTSD (PTSD

I am not sure if I need to go back to therapy for PTSD (PTSD was my diagnosis) or not. Today was a good example. I do spend time with people (friends/family activies etc). But, I still get what I call (i need an exit route - over stimulated). Today was just a day people brought food in to my desk next to me. I don't know why I was upset (well I do know why). I had to get all my work done and the constant interruptions (even though I said sorry I need to get my work done) kept happening (they were not rude just talking). Monday it won't be like that (no food next to my desk). But, I noticed noise level really bothers me (i do not like concerts or buzy places). I get to where the constant conversation is too much for me so I go then and spend time with myself (even 15 minutes helps) and sometimes I just want to be myself for a few hours. I need that recharging time. What is wrong with me the noise makes it so hard to think to do my work and it makes me angry that it can't just be quiet (my desk I just moved from was quiet - high wall cubes)
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is not uncommon to feel a heightened sensitivity to noise if you have been traumatized in the past and the trauma involved noise. You would naturally have an awareness of it that most people do not. And to feel the need to leave or to seek out quiet would also be normal. The amount of noise you experienced would set your senses on high alert because before when you were traumatized, your body learned that the noise meant harm. So you want to leave the situation to protect yourself. Just like a soldier who was at war hearing a plane overhead or a loud bang, you are reacting to your past trauma because your mind reads the noise as dangerous.

It may help to return to therapy if you feel your ability to handle noise is interfering in your life. You might have to adapt to some heightened sensitivity, but if you feel you cannot function because of your symptoms, therapy can help you find better ways to cope so you feel less bothered and able to do what you wish to do.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! That makes so much sense. Yeah I am having a lot of problems with concentration. I will follow up on a therapy session. I think it will help a lot. Have a great day!

You're welcome! I think a follow up session will help you feel better about your situation.

My best to you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!