RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I am a man thinking of seeing a hypnotherapistOKMH0927217

I am a man thinking of seeing a hypnotherapist. Does it matter if the hypnotherapist is a man or a woman? Part of me thinks that maybe having a woman's voice would be less relatable for my subconscious?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Whenever it is about psychotherapy, gender plays a key role in the therapeutic relationship, rapport, dynamics between expert and client and the way therapy evolves.

Customer :

ok, I am listening

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Depending on your personality, preferences, personal isues, expectations and challenges and what you look for when getting professional support, a male or a female would be better for you. It always depends on those different factors.

Customer :

how do I know which gender to use? I think i'd prefer a man, but does that mean anything?

Customer :

and this is subconscious stuff, right, so does that matter in hypnotherapy?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

For example it is not uncommon for "transference" to happen in this relationship, and if the client has certain issue around attachment, abandonment, needy and other problems, it could be much more challenging to work with a female therapist than with a male ( if the client is male and heterosexual)

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

But even in cases where, for example the male client has serious issues around his father, a male therapist without enough expertise could not be the best match since could trigger those issues too.

Customer :

hmmm... okay so what should I do?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I would suggest in most scenarios to choose a male therapist unless you obviously feel compelled to choose a female instead.

Customer :

ok thnx